Kona Score

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have come close to buying a Score on a several occasions now, so it seemed only right that when this 18” example came along, that this time I should try to make it mine.

This actual frame was up for sale on e-Bay around a year ago, and despite the encouragement of other RB members back then, I didn’t go for it!

Some of you may have seen this up for sale along with a few other included ancillaries a couple of weeks ago, but I struck a deal for the frame only.

I picked it up on Saturday, which involved a lengthy train and tube journey – I took a tin of Duraglit and a cloth with me, and managed to while away the return travelling time by starting the cleaning and polishing process on the train!

Onwards:
There has been much discussion on how many of these frames were produced in total before the production of them was allegedly halted.

There is also some confusion over the sizes that were available, and it would appear from my file of pictures that I have collected over the years, that this is the only 18” that I have come across.

Here are the first pictures of the frame, with a build to follow – and as is usual for me, it will not be period correct.

. by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.

:cool: :cool: Nice Pip, im glad you got this, i had to really try hard to resist it myself :LOL:

Cant wait to see more pics

Mark

Re:

Cheers Mark; I guess it was only a matter of time before I bought one.

My best efforts to measure the tubing shows that the Down Tube is an impressive 48mm x 38mm at the bottom and 46mm x 40mm at the top (excluding the massive gusseting). The Head Tube is a curious length of 125mm, and the extra thickness where the headset cups press in, is something that I have not seen before. I understand that this tube was milled out from a billet of 6-4 titanium, as opposed to cut from a tube.

I have nearly all of the components here ready to go on the frame, although I am waiting for delivery of a Thomson Seat Post.

More pictures to follow.

Pip

I know you have seen this before, as you actually comented on the post way back :)

"The frame is custom drawn multi-shaped and directionally shape Sandvik aerospace certified 3/2.5 titanium seamless tubing with 6/4 titanium plate dropouts. TIG-welded, made by Titanium Sports in Kennewick, WA to Kona specifications. Special features are; multi-shaped reinforced gusseted Down-tube, 6/4 titanium plate dropouts (Water-Jet cut and milled) made with "Bullet" plugs for superior strength & perfect rear wheel alignment and the Head-tube is CNC milled out titanium, superb (the Bottom Bracket shell maybe 6/4 titanium as well; see 98 King Kahuna specs). The welds are beautiful. This is all fitted to Kona's performance balanced geometry. Nobody (anymore) builds a Ti frame like this, because the cost of working titanium is so high. Frame only weight: 1670gm/3.6 lbs (15"), 1814gm/4 lbs. (17"), 1905gm/4.2 lbs (18")"

Yeah, im jealous :D

Mark

Re:

Okay here are some more pictures that demonstrate the lovely welds, and the beefed up Head Tube.

…. and the CNC machined Head Tube

With regards to how many were produced, I have always assumed that it was around 100 in total over the 3 sizes. Then I saw this on MTBR, which confirmed the number, BUT…. it does introduce a curious suggestion of the largest size.

Quote:
“I talked to one of the head boys at Kona when I used to work at a Kona dealer. He told me that there were 100 Score frames made. Fifty 15’’, Forty 17'' and Ten 17'' - long (longer top tube)”

Then I saw this on here some time back.

Quote:
"They only made 15" and 17", and I've heard rumours of there being a handful of 17" long, though I can't verify this. Notice the listing of S, M, L for sizes. However these are always subject to change, and they did stop production."

However, my serial number at 18” and No: 170 would disagree with this total number and frame size.

Mmm curiouser and curiouser.

Pip

I have also seen references to 17" long sizing. Your SN does suggest it is an 18" though and i saw this also
Top Tube Length: 21.7" (15" frame), 23.0" (17"), 23.5" (18")
Stand-Over Height: 28.6" (15" frame), 30.2" (17"), 31" (18")
which suggests an 18" size as i imagine the 17" long would have the same standover height as the 17" regular?

Mark

Re:

Yes, I picked it up from near Crewe Rail station. I haven’t met many members from this site, and it was a pleasure to meet “Big D” :) .

Mark, the Top Tube length of mine is indeed 23.5”, and measures 18” from the centre of the Bottom Bracket to the top of the Seat Tube. This lengthy Top Tube is about an 1” longer than my other 18” frames, and rather surprisingly, a tad longer than my two 19” frames.

Not sure about stand-over height yet.

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":37sni8f7 said:
I haven’t met many members from this site, and it was a pleasure to meet “Big D” :) .

Nice enough chap, and keen enough....

But he still owes me a tenner from when he turned up to collect some parts and didn't bring enough cash :roll: Not heard from him in a while

Back