Kona hei hei 99?

swansta

Dirt Disciple
Build in progress. Forks are Burls custom jobs.

Attachments

• 20170418_174811-1664x936-832x468.jpg
    20170418_174811-1664x936-832x468.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,213
I honestly have no shame in admitting I want one of these now because theres a chicken called Hei Hei in the animation film 'Moana'!

Looks a great ride!

Re:

it looks to have a disk tab, if so, it's a 2000 model.
got the same model, very nice ride
you just have to put a ti seatpost and you'll have the perfect built ;)

cheers
christophe

Re:

That is a lovely bike and build that you have there - I think that the forks work really well.

It is indeed true to say that the year 2000 Kona Titanium frames were fitted with a disc tab. However as far as we know, there were no 2000 Hei Hei frames produced.

At the time, Kona offered a retrograde disc tab fitting for their pre-2000 Ti frames, which presumably was carried out by Ti Sports who originally welded the fames.

The bike in the picture appears to be a 1999 model, and looks like it has an after marked disc tab fitted. If this is correct (and if it is a 19” frame) the serial number will be in the format of KH19###

There are two versions of disc tab that I have seen. The factory version fitted to the 2000 Ti frames looked like this:
Score2000_2_zpsyyvhmem1.jpg

…. and a different retrograde version found on one of my 1997 King Kahuna frames was this design.
KingKahunaDiscRearmacro_zpsce877bcc.jpg

Finally, to demonstrate the difference between 1999 decals and 2000 decals please see the picture below. I don’t have any decent examples on file of 2000 style King Kahuna decals, but these fitted to a 2000 Kona Score are the same “Glow in the Dark” style.

Score2000_4_zps2jpxwfgb.jpg

Pip

Hi

Mine got the serial kh 19 101 and have a different disk tab as the two above....
Was sold to me by mojo ti, who said it is a 2000 model...have no reason to dont believe him
As he know a lot about titanium mtbs ;)

Cheers

@Swansta: Do you have any close-up pics of the Burls fork? Looks like the tubing is tapered? Very nice.

The other posts: Good info and pics! As far as I know, the "factory" disk mount by Ti Sports always consisted of the two individual tabs, as shown in one of your pics.

Back