The Raleigh rsp collection just grew a couple more :)

Re:

Excellent! Possibly one of the best gatherings of RSPs outside the factory (and Bikemeister2000 had a few too!).
I like the fact you've got all the matching colours together too - deliberate or coincidence? ;)

I've got three! Two RSP 450s and a Titanium XTR (UK-built, German market). The Ti IS lovely, thin springy stays eat up the rough ground but it still kicks a bit with rigid forks on it! No better than the 853 frames though...just lighter.

I have one 450 with Magura forks/brakes set up for XC-type and it is absolutely the best-riding bike I think I own; and the other as more of a relaxed 26er BMX style. Funny enough I've never had the Aluminium or the full-sus RSPs!
I too get saddened when I look at the NAHBS or Bespoked and see countless shiny nickel or gold-plated 'handmade' bikes; and these RSP frames going for £50-80 on eBay (okay the Alu aren't the same, but even so!..)
Then I realise I can afford these - and get stuck in! :twisted:

Hey there Jimmylad,

you still not got my old DHO built up yet? What you waiting for?

Seriously though, great collection.

You still down at Sherwood?

I ought to bring a bike over some time and we can have a hack round the woods...

I still hanker after a Ti to relive my student days but I'd probably just break it (as I did on two back in the day). I'm also mates with the former Special Products frame designer and he has a pristine unused full sus frame. He just wont sell it to me. Not that I have the space or anything!

Cheers mate,

Mark

Hello all :)

Osella I had to search for the 450's as I wasn't aware of them models - the year 2000 range was when I first learnt about the range / brand, but oh my!!! I love the look of them! and very nice build one them. A Reynold framed hardtail!!! I can only imagine how fun that is to ride. Please do tell. I can say the alu 500's I have are a delight to ride, very sharp and quick - I'm still finding the balance point on them and my attempts at wheelies are comical at best.
As well one of ti's - again, good work. I've never rode a ti bike but given the chance I'd love to.
As you say it really is a shame when you see them (rsp bikes and frames) going cheap on ebay and the such - however the flip side of this is I have been acquire some of mine for some silly prices - granted I've had to travel for them but they have been worth it.

Mark (mr voodoo kid) - good to hear from you :)
Unfortunatly I must hang my head and must confirm that I still have not had the chance to build up that DHO frame. She is currently sitting in my mums house next to a Turner wrapped in bubble wrap. I have polished and waxed the frame numerous times however so she is looking grand. The main problem I can not lie is money. I have a set of d321 wheels on dt hugi 440 hubs ready for her (would love some period correct deemax wheels however!), but thats about as far as I have gotten. I'd love some old 151 boxxers but they are as rare as hens teeth and to be honest I'd rather not put triple clamps on her. I suspect I'll either end up getting another set of rs domains and lowering the travel to match the head angle (i've found 140mm does well) or some fox 36's - but all this boils down to money. And unfortunately I am better at riding bikes than working so that build will have to wait until I have a job again and some spare cash. I suspect it will be at least £500 to get that frame built up using second hand parts.
Anyways yes - if you do find yourself down this way again please do let me know and we'll get out for a blast around sherwood - I'll treat us both to a beer for you helping me out with the frame ;)
I think your not the only who wants a ti rsp bike but it is shameful that you have snapped two!? in the past!!! Any pics? Saying that I snapped my first rsp full sus all them years ago!

It really is nice to hear that people still have found memories of the RSP range. Maybe a collective RSP group ride could be arranged??

I finally got out on my new 500 model the other day - only a quick spin down by the river and there where some serious smiles per hour going on! The 500 is such a sharp quick bike and to be honest I think she is actually the lightest bike I have ever owned. I weighed her today and she comes in at 30.5lb. Now I do appreciate this is not light compaired to many bikes but for me this is just silly light. I think one of my old dale' geminis weighed at 38lb? but this 500 is a delight. easy to put in the car, lift up stairs, lift over gates and styles and it just wants to go forward. I think for now I have no intention to change the build - aside from some ergon ge1 grips which I really do love and some new pedals (saints of course).

Attachments

• rsp500 smaller.jpg
    rsp500 smaller.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 1,453
Re:

I was fortunate enough to spend a few weeks at "The Raleigh" in 1982. I was taught how to build a wheel, and various other assembly processes on a bike. Of course it was more Raleigh Burner back then, not so sure I had even heard of a "mountain bike".

I do remember watching an employee assembling an RSP road frame, or at least it was the equivalent of RSP before they shipped out to their own factory. Another highlight was watching the movie "Who dares Wins" which was shown over the course of a week during the lunch break. This time in Nottingham also introduced me to the Donner Kebab, forever grateful :).

You had me sold on an RSP frame untill I saw your weight at 30lb+ :0 a tiny 7005 frame like that can't be much over 4lb. The weight has to be in the tyres and hubs/ BB. I am sure you could loose 20% of the weight with some choice components.

Oh god - seeing a whole line of brand new Burner must have been something?!

It sounds like a good time then Davidj. I imagine you got to see many great things and sights many of us would love to see now.

I short while ago I watched the film/documentary: Pedaling Dreams - The Raleigh Story. It was on BBC4 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08j8mvl) - if you hunt hard enough its possible to watch it on line. It really was a interesting watch and again I'm reminded how great Raleigh once where.
Did anyone else get to see this film/documentary? at the end it showed a brief few shorts of the rsp factory :)

As to the weight of the 500 at 30.5lb. That's not really heavy is it?!? I've caught fish heavier than the bike :) This model was designed as a dual slalom bike so maybe it was a bit biffed up in places. Certainly the mavic D521 wheels on novatech hubs are not the lightest, the seatpost is long enough to be scaffold bar and i'd imagine with some ligther cranks and forks she could be built into something lighter.

I think I'll try and get round to weighing the other models I have this week as I've always been interested to see what the dho weighs - I suspect mid 40's!!!

Safe trails all

J

:)

Re:

Just read this.
Enjoyed the read, the photos and bikes!
A damn shame Raleigh went down the pan when the parents company bought diamondback

Re:

Hi,

I was just reading through this, nice to see the brochure again for the RSP range. I remember spending hours looking at it. I ended up getting the RSP 350.

Does anyone know why it wasn’t included in the brochure? I never actually found it in one. Even when I look up Google, it doesn’t bring any results back.

Thanks

Ah this bring back memories! I had an 853 Freeride with the eggplant forks, an rsp 300 (i think) road bike, and an rsp hardtail , the green one with the gripshift, 150 maybe? Loved them all, miss the old Raleigh bikes, great fun to ride.

Back