On-One ScandAl 29'er

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
After selling my Inbred 29'er Singlespeed last year I found that actually I really missed it, it was the bike that I could just grab from the shed and go for a quick ride, a long ride, or an all day ride, all with minimal fuss and maintenance.

And Santa Klaus :xmas-wink: replied to my wanted ad for a 29'er frame with this On-One Scandal frame and Rockshox Reba forks.
The deal was done and I'm now in the process of putting it together.

The plan was to build a simple and relatively inexpensive singlespeed 29'er, and as we know things don't always go to plan! :LOL:
Much of the finishing kit is from On-One, including their Fleegle bars that are a bargain at £5. I found some used On-One 29"wheels with tyres and a singlespeed kit already fitted on another bike forum. So far so good.... then I decided I'd need a dropper seatpost so again bought one from a mtb forum, followed by XT brakes (because they were local and a good price) and XT cranks (another good price)... so the budget has been well and truly blown :facepalm: oh well... at least I don't need to buy mechs, shifters and cassette :LOL:

Got things rolling today, hopefully have it rideable by next weekend...

Attachments

• 20170326_190657-800x450.jpg
    20170326_190657-800x450.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,143
The History Man":k0k5ge3y said:
Need tyres? Smorgasbords? Some here.

Thanks for the offer, but the wheels came with some 2.4 Chunky Monkeys, the tyres probably weigh more than the rest of the bike combined, but they'll do for now.

Re:

These lighter evenings are great! :D got a bit more done today.
Still waiting on a bottom bracket turning up in the post so the cranks have something to stop them falling out the frame.
Hoses will probably need shortened and tidied up, but I'll leave that until after I've ridden the finished bike a few times as I may decide to go with some bars with more rise to them, looking at the Fleegle's they are swept back but there's no rise to them .... time will tell...

Attachments

• 20170327_183627-1024x576.jpg
    20170327_183627-1024x576.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,088
DICKO10":20hzwbpr said:
Looking good Jim I have the same bars waiting for a cheap as chips 29er to pop up :facepalm:

I don't think there's such a thing :LOL: although there's a lot of 29" wheelers out there these days, even the lower tier bikes from the big companies have come in 29er size (eg Spesh Hardrock).

Re:

It's the "Raw" finish, which I think is actually anodised?

Realised I'll have to get some new olives/barbs to shorten the hoses.
Currently it has 34:16 gearing which is way too difficult to pedal on my normal trails.
So I'm changing it to 30:20-ish which is what I used on my previous Inbred 29'er SS.

Re:

Did a bit more fettling after work today. Fitted a 30T narrow-wide chainring (gives me the option to run 1x gearing at any point if I feel like it), and chucked on a 21T sprocket from a cassette, just a temporary measure till I settle on what size sprocket works best for where I ride.
Just need to bleed the rear brake before riding as the chap I bought the brakes from had disconnected the hose to remove them from his bike.
Weighed in at 28lbs, I'm sure the tyres alone are a fair few lbs! They look like Fat bike tyres from above :LOL:

Back