1999 Gary Fisher MT Tam

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This is the unicorn, I'd describe as in fair/poor condition but so far not found any problems with the important parts i.e. no cracks/dents in frame, there may be hidden horrors when the forks get looked at.

Now washed a bit but still lots of grime to remove and stripped down to rolling chassis. All but one of the bottle cage bolts have been removed.

BB seems smooth without play but chainrings (except granny) are worn, as for chain, never seen one as bad as this, rusty, worn and even has some of the rollers missing :eek: - in the bin with that.

The BB will be coming out tomorrow so a) can check BB threads are good and b) replace the nasty plastic cup.

The plan is to keep it original looking so likely to keep the seatpost, stem, chainset, both mechs (if working) but with a modern twist of disc brakes (cable guides will need to be opened) and be having black wheel rims.

Probably be 3x9 geared.
Right now undecided what to do with the clunky saddle and bars. :?

mt8_zpsnxewhcp3.png

BB area needs some serious degreasing
mt9_zpsevr4oktq.png

I think it the colour looks a lot better than this, which is the one I ended up buying. :facepalm:

Attachments

• DSC07177.JPG
    DSC07177.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,441
Re:

I like the colour scheme of yours, funky.

However, I also like the yellow of mine!

DSCF1054 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

HI !

The Supercal had two bottle cage bolts spinning, but got them out yesterday, to be replaced soon.

Mike

Frame cleaned up and stripped down. Had to file flats some more for 8mm spanner to fit on brake bosses and with a bit of heat, theyre out.

One bottle cage bolt on underside of tube is spinning, id like it out but easier to leave in for new.
Frame with cups and seatpost clamp weighs 1.84 kg.

New middle and outer chainring with fancy blue alloy bolts on original chainset.

Fork to be taken apart next if i can figure it out.

There is plenty of "patina" which doesnt show up in the low res photo, i wont be repainting as the orange paint has golden flakes so wont be easy to match.

Need to sort out some IS disc brakes

Attachments

• CAM00370-1.jpg
    CAM00370-1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,335
Re:

Nice one buddy, I started working on mine this morning!

I think the bosses must be 9mm, as my 8mm spanner was too small also.

These colours aren't easy to match up to are they! :roll: I was struggling with the yellow on mine, as it too, has yellow flecks in it.

Pm on it's way.

Mike

9mm spanner was too loose and was starting to round off, must be some imperial size (which i dont have that small)

Re:

Took SID forks apart, incredibly the stanchions have no marking at all. The lowers have paint loss and corrosion, a dark grey colous so guessing it is magnesium alloy. If i can source decals then tempted to repaint, hmmmm

Attachments

• CAM00379-1.jpg
    CAM00379-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,300
  • CAM00383-1.jpg
    CAM00383-1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • CAM00382-1.jpg
    CAM00382-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,300
Back