1998 M2 Stumpjumper

dandy1

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After selling my Cannondale Super V3000, decided to try and build a lightish hardtail. Managed to pick up this Specialized Stumpjumper off of a member on here a few months ago, and over the course of the following few months, with bits lying around at home, plus bits bought off this fourm, the bikes finally finished.

Wasn't sure of the Thomson layback post (first pic) so as I had a spare inline put that on instead (second pic)....I think it looks better with the inline...what do you think?

Current weight is 9.6kg, and i'm sure with a few changes, and a few more quality parts it could maybe come down a little more. As the majority of my riding is done on the road, canal paths etc, it's set up as a 9 speed only.

Frame - 1998 Specialized M2 Stumpjumper
Fork - Pace RC31
Wheelset - Mavic Crossmax Sl with Hutchinson ust tyres
Headset - Cane Creek s8
Handlebar - Azonic
Brakes - XT V brakes (levers and calipers) with shimano ceramic pads
Shifter - XT
Stem - Thomson elite
Seatpost - Thomson elite
Saddle - WTB SL8
Rear Mech - XTR
Cassette - Ultegra 6500
Crankset - Shimano LX (46T stronglight chainring)
BB - Raceface taperlock
Pedals - Wellgo mg1

Re:

It's certainly a very different ride, taking a bit of getting used too....but certainly goes!

Yeah, very different to a super v!
I bought one new in '97 and I couldn't believe how fast and much more direct it was than the steel hardtail it replaced! To get the best out of them you really need to give them some beans, and that's much easier on smoother trails and/or if you are young, strong and fit. I got too fat and old for mine so I sold it, but I still have very fond memories.

Re:

Hey, thanks for the offer... But after recently picking up a minty klein quantum I'll probably be stripping this and selling for parts.

Re:

Could be interested in the frame (pending on size) and a few bits, let me know when your ready to sell... :cool:

Latest posts

Back