1999 Cannondale Ashton Signature Edition Build

The Ashton got a rare outing today so got a quick pic...

Really fun bike to ride and suprisingly capable given the lack of suspension, gearing and seat post!

Re:

Excellent work getting it together. The only thing I would change are the cranks/bb - I like the look of them but I would never go back to internal bearing bb's now.

Re: Re:

Lacuna":mxixx82m said:
Excellent work getting it together. The only thing I would change are the cranks/bb - I like the look of them but I would never go back to internal bearing bb's now.

Cheers. Just out of interest what is the benefit of external bb? I've only ever run the old cartridge ones and like the simplicity. I've had one in another bike since it was new in the late 90s and it's still smooth and wobble free.

ChrisBrown81":2btayqk8 said:
Just needs a red ano bash guard and a Union Jack DCD an you're there!

Middleburn were going to make me a nice new red one until they went and closed down. How incredibly rude.

I've probably got a DCD somewhere in the garage but those things were bloody awful!

DMC3000":1lsykui4 said:
Cheers. Just out of interest what is the benefit of external bb? I've only ever run the old cartridge ones and like the simplicity. I've had one in another bike since it was new in the late 90s and it's still smooth and wobble free.

Numerous benefits! Larger, stronger bearings that facilitate a much larger diameter axle which can then be made lighter and stiffer for the same weight. A major plus point for me is the simplicity of fitting and removal. Removing a stubborn old square taper bb from a frame can be quite a daunting task but removing an external bb and the cranks can be done hassle free in about 2 minutes.

Back