tIB's Custom Pace RC300 build

I'll keep you informed- from a design point of view the levers are better than the hope in that there's a screw in valve to fill the resevoir- you don't have to remove the top/cover every time. I'd imagine they will work just as well- I don't get as much bite as on the avids I have (with the hopes) but they do the job fine. I just like that they are a big hunk of metal and British if I'm honest! The giant's are one of those things- the callipers are almost identical.

Well tbh i'd lost track with who makes the best but yes when a design is less troublesome due to being better thought out then it's got to make better sense ..

Avids have been pretty well thought out brakes for quite some time now and as for the giant's well i can't comment due to never using any of their products so anyway i look forward to your updates with great interest ;) ..

Just had a mess with the brakes- they're on to some degree. While the levers are a better design in terms of bleeding they are a fair bit more chunky than the hope levers. Look fine enough at this point though, and they are through the tricky holes into and out of the frame so they won't be going anywhere for a while! Need to shorten the hose on the front...

Also bunged the exotic carbon's back on- must remember to check the steerer length before removing the crown race, fitting another and then having to remove/refit again. There's an hour or so I won't get back! Lovely match for the frame though so happy.

Let's just hope these levers aren't to chunky although lets face it some levers don't need much pressure on them to work well so if that's the case with these then you've no worries and all the time it's taken to fit them will be worth the effort ...
So have you got some decent cable cutters for shortening the hose then? ..

Yes you need to make sure that steerer is all sorted correctly or it
will be a migraine just waiting to happen but i have to agree that these exotics really do look a perfect match for the frame so i can't wait to see them all fitted up ;) ..

That depends if you consider a dremel decent! I'm hoping to have all I need to build this up later in the week, albeit borrowing the wheelset from the maxlight until I sort a cassette.

Well a dremel is a cracking bit of kit :cool: and i'd love one myself one day ;) and i'm fairly confident that you'll have this lovely machine built up and looking the business by the end of the week even if you do have to nick the wheels off the maxlight so remind me again of what cassette your after ? ..

Aha! :facepalm: oh well i won't offer you an 8 speed then so what cassette are you after then ie; 13x34 ? ..

Not sure yet - I'm 42/27 up front so was thinking 12 - 30 something. Higher the better really I suppose?

Edit: oh and thanks anyway!

Meanwhile I continued to think on with brakes- depending on whether that adapter works out right on the 200 these might end up having to go anyway- had a brainwave earlier and think even with the adapter I might struggle, since they required a larger rotor, which I bet the fork doesn't accommodate... Hmmm!

Latest posts

Back