'99 Trek 8000

jimwah

Old School Hero
Been away for a while, dabbled in some newer bikes and a steel single-speed with drop bars, but got the feeling recently I wanted to build up an old Alu bike ideally with a 1x8 or 1x9 setup - something a bit more playful than the single-speed. I'm getting very slap-dash these days so this will not be a pristine build - I much prefer to chuck any old rubbish together and ride it :mrgreen:

Ahh the Trek 8000... a fine looking creation, and one popped up on eBay locally for £25 Frame & Forks. I actually had a 96 Trek 7000 back then, but the rose-tinted glasses still apply to any late 90s Trek alu for me.

Trek8000_zpsecygep6w.jpg

It's been a rough 17 years for this particular example but he's still standing, a lot of cable rub and chain suck but no mortal wounds. In a 17.5" too, should be a bit more lively than my normal 18.5/19" which are starting to feel to long for me (am I shrinking?)
TrekFrame_zpswohl2qlx.jpg

Got a few bits in the shed, some decent tyres and stem/bars/grips etc - but needed some wheels and various other misc parts, so when this monstrosity popped up on eBay it seemed like a decent donor for £50...
s-l1600_zps7xmzxlh2.jpg

s-l1600-2_zps0ts9i0uw.jpg

Stripped both over the course of this weekend, just to assess what I have and will need.

The Trek

Manitou SX forks feel spongey and preload adjuster (plastic) is perished, took them apart and condition is otherwise amazing! Toyed with idea of going for disc upgrade but the rear 22mm disc mount is obscure and might be easier just to go with V brakes (I have some nice Avid digit V's + levers in the parts bin too). Someone has loved it in a previous life, as there's a Hope headset on there in minty condition. BB looks new but feels rough.

The Monstrosity

This frame is terrible and weighs a ton. BB shot and cranks corroded on there, cassette and chain worn and XT rear mech looks a little bent up to. XT shifters are shot too (bah). Good news is the wheels look alright, bit scruffy but LX hubs on Mavic D521 rims - these were the sturdier DH-style rim of the time iirc? I always rode the 'XC' 217 back then I think. Also the Manitou X-Vert shocks feel great and apart from superficial scratches look to be in great condition, stanchions are spotless. 1x 'Kona Lumpy' tyre is alright too, although I've got a new pair of Spesh 2.0 Mud Control tyres in the shed which I've been itching to use for years.

Progress so far
Based off the condition of the SX fork and the fact the X-vert feels great I didn't even pop them open to service them - I'd just break something anyway :mrgreen: re-greased the Hope headset which is smooth as butter of course and stuck the X-verts on the Trek frame. Also chucked on a Thomson elite stem and seat post from my single speed, and an Answer 740mm 'AM' riser bar. Also popped on a Deore rear mech I found in the shed.

Additional parts I ordered:
Replacement BB was £10
2 pairs of V-brake pads £4

Think I'll need:
Cassette
Shifter
Chain

jimwah":yxl4l7su said:

The Trek

Toyed with idea of going for disc upgrade but the rear 22mm disc mount is obscure and might be easier just to go with V brakes (I have some nice Avid digit V's + levers in the parts bin too).

Discs aren't an upgrade, they're essential. either make one, see my post below or save a lot of hours and buy an A2Z adapter (I'll see if I can find a link).

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=115872&start=0

Thanks very much for the links, but my old Trek 7000 had Alivio cantis in 1996 and I'm less dangerous now than I was then, so a good set of Avid v-brakes are quite the luxury! ( read up on the 22m adapters before getting the frame and the general vibe was they flex and judder, better off with a Hope C2 or Hayes in a 22mm fitment. Or make your own adapter )

Thanks Shedobits, defo has a whiff of the USPS 'era' about it :) I got 2 mins today to get the old BB out, old unit was too wide with threads exposed and a nice heap of rusty crud was sat around it in the shell - but the threads etc were spotless so I'm happy with that. Few more bits arrived in the post ready for the weekend..

PRO silver seat collar 34.9mm for £4
Shimano octalink crankset 170mm in silver for £11 (this looks like it came off a display bike, almost spotless!)

C3D10919-DB3C-4141-AF20-F08356A4354A_zpsukhuywcf.jpg

Got these for xmas about 4 years ago, but I was riding a 29 so they've been in the shed ever since... just waiting for a 26er to come along.. :D

Got another hour or two on this yesterday :) weighs 24lbs which I'm happy with as the X-vert forks are defo not that light.

Got a nice set of jag wire cables on order, a cheap NW chainring, and a new rear skewer as current one looks ropey.

20161022_151218_zpsdqsy79dc.jpg

Thank you sir. It's got the same feel of my old Trek 7000, very pleasing just working on it :)

Fitted the other Specialized Storm Control yesterday, they look chunky for a 2.0 and a decent open pattern for the winter slop around here. Also ordered some other junk off eBay for this, considering booking a half day holiday this week to get a few hours uninterrupted and finish it all off!

Back