The Holy Grail of retro rims - MA40 32H NOS pair SOLD!

Deveron53

Senior Retro Guru
The Holy Hoops of Antioch!

It took me 15 years searching and a lot of money to find these rims and now I can't bear to see them scarred by a rim brake! That beautiful brown/grey anodising!
I'm asking quite a high price but this reflects the condition, rarity and what it cost me to obtain them!

£95 posted - including a set of cartridge V-brake pads compatible with ceramic rims.

Sold at asking price - well pleased!

Attachments

• holygrail.JPG
    holygrail.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,807
What is the difference with the M231 CD ?

I have a pair of these I laced to XTRM900 and they look very similar :?:

These are the original Keith Bontrager designed 19mm cut-down road rims. The FIRST narrow mountain bike rim EVER!

They weigh 400 grams. The 231 were a little bit more. Lovely rim the MA40 had a pair BITD laced to Bullseye hubs
:cool:

They are a man's rim though! I was forever hooking brake pads under the rear in the days of cantis. XT V-brakes were a godsend!. Snapped countless tyre levers as well! But they are the strongest rim I've ever known for the weight. My old 36h pair lasted 15 years and survived 3 sets of hubs. Eventually they ended up as disc rims on my 575 while I waited for my Hopes to be built and I tacoed the rear badly at Chicksands!

I would recommend 'ghetto' tubeless conversion in order to eliminate flats!

ma40

I have a set of these i bought from france for £55 each. the idea came to re-roll the ma40 40 hole rims to make a mtb rim. These were hard to get hold of back in the day let alone now. I am keeping mine for a specail build. who ever buys these are in for a treat.

Re: ma40

biglev":2y9yqcyn said:
I have a set of these i bought from france for £55 each. the idea came to re-roll the ma40 40 hole rims to make a mtb rim. These were hard to get hold of back in the day let alone now. I am keeping mine for a specail build. who ever buys these are in for a treat.

£55 each! So mine are very cheap then. Come on, roll up, roll up!

Re: The Holy Grail of retro rims - MA40 32H NOS pair!

Deveron53":i1kan8gh said:
...including a set of cartridge V-brake pads compatible with ceramic rims.

They're hard anodized, not ceramic.

DoctorRad":i3qf8293 said:
Deveron53":i3qf8293 said:

What will ceramic compatible pads do to them?

Deveron53":3m9stzgq said:
DoctorRad":3m9stzgq said:
Deveron53":3m9stzgq said:

What will ceramic compatible pads do to them?

PROBABLY take off the anodising faster than normal pads and make them look tatty even more quickly...!

Back