1986 Fat Chance frame with cook bros BB (large)- Sold

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
For Sale: (Sold)

1986 Fat City Cycles Fat Chance

serial number: 86118

size: Large (19.5" measured from the center of the bb to the top of the top tube intersecting with the seat tube, from the very top of the seat tube to the center of the bb it measures 21.5"; 22.5" top tube though it might be different depending on how you measure it due to the angle of the head tube)

Braze-ons: two water bottle cages on the top side of the downtube, slotted cable guides, and fender/rack eyelets on the read dropouts.

True temper tubing, double butted cromoly tubing, plasma welded (very clean, barely detectable welds), no dents/dings/cracks/ with only slight rubbing on the chain stay by where the rings would be, no rust on the surface. A few scratches along the top tube, and again no rust formation.

Now, as all Fats from this period, the sealed seat tube was prone to rust from the inside out. I made a cleaning tool to inspect this on fats I've come across, if some B-9 boeshield and my tool can't reveal clean metal, then rust has begun the frame's death march. Good news, this frame had some collected moisture, and the start of rust, but it did not penetrate the interior surface, as most of it cleaned away within 10 minutes. When looking downt he seat tube with a flashlight, clean steel is visable at the bottom, woohoo! I've since sprayed with with more B-9, and it is saturated, so all moisture will be removed. Phew, another Fat saved ;)

The BB spins smoothly, and seems to have been serviced recently. This bike gave me no problems disassembling, so i believe it was well cared for by the original owner- I'm the second owner.

Alright, I've probably said too much, but better too much than too little. Detailed photos to be posted tonight :D

seat collar along with q/r and 26.4 seatpost will be included. The seatpost is a throw in as it's just a kalloy, but it's better than no seatpost if you don't happen to have a 26.4.

now the photos:

45c142cb.jpg

8cd5a4b5.jpg

70f8eff4.jpg

54b84e4d.jpg

cfe48736.jpg

03e0a8a7.jpg

a8edfe81.jpg

ea2e7303.jpg

fce15a4b.jpg

3fcf49ec.jpg

af6dc157.jpg

0e163177.jpg

f253e976.jpg

06d0afa1.jpg

4d866a7e.jpg

79997734.jpg

ecdc3a37.jpg

pics now up; hosted on photobucket, for those of you on a network that blocks photobucket, email me for pics.

the flash washes out the luster of the black frame...it's not faded.

clockworkgazz":vmv19grq said:
do you have a price posted to the uk and do you know what I might have to pay in taxes?

Hi,

I've shipped a couple frames/bikes abroad. A few months back, i shipped a 13" stumpjumper frame via USPS priority mail (6-10 days) for $55. Though this one i much larger, i don't anticipate it being much more if anymore to ship.

In regards to customs/declaring value, I will do gift for gift; send me a paypal via gift method, and I in turn will send you a frame via gift method, and I will declare its value at whatever you specify. IMHO, shipping insurance can be overrated due to the lengthy process in recouping funds in the event of damage or loss. The best insurance is clearly marking the box with the correct address, and packaging the frame/bike as if it has to survive WWIII. It's worked so far ;)

I can do this frame for $300 usd total shipped to the UK. Feel free to pm me or write me back on here with any other questions you might have. Thanks :D

GoldenEraMTB":1iwiw7x1 said:
The best insurance is clearly marking the box with the correct address, and packaging the frame/bike as if it has to survive WWIII. It's worked so far ;)

And I'd say your packing will go pretty close to surviving WWIII too ;)

clockworkgazz":2xktg8ld said:
you got a PM my man ;)

thanks man :cool:

pm'd you back.

andrewl":2xktg8ld said:
GoldenEraMTB":2xktg8ld said:
The best insurance is clearly marking the box with the correct address, and packaging the frame/bike as if it has to survive WWIII. It's worked so far ;)

And I'd say your packing will go pretty close to surviving WWIII too ;)

:LOL: the tubing wrap once removed from the bike can be reused on your home pipes as insulator ;)

GoldenEraMTB":3ve5gd3v said:
:LOL: the tubing wrap once removed from the bike can be reused on your home pipes as insulator ;)

And it the event of a transport plane crash over water ensures the frame floats to the surface??

Anyway...

It looks a very nice frame and should build up pretty well too.

let me get payment sorted and I'll pm you, what size headtube is it? I will check forks I have and get back to you. :cool:

andrewl":25iumgj0 said:
GoldenEraMTB":25iumgj0 said:

And it the event of a transport plane crash over water ensures the frame floats to the surface??

Anyway...

It looks a very nice frame and should build up pretty well too.

Hmmm, I'll have to check on that, but I do believe you are right, they should float, so they'll eventually make it to the shore one way or another.

Thanks, it's definitely a well kept example of an '86.

clockworkgazz":25iumgj0 said:
let me get payment sorted and I'll pm you, what size headtube is it? I will check forks I have and get back to you. :cool:

sounds good, Gary :)

It's a 1", and I believe the original fork has some rake.

Back