Specialized Rockhopper 1988 with suntour parts - NOW SOLD

cocodemer

Retro Guru
Hi

Is anyone interested in a worthy large specialized rockhopper project?
This was my brothers first proper MTB, and he rode it all over, it has even been to the summit of Ben Nevis! when he bought a smaller hardrock, all the parts were swapped over, so the bike is hung with a full Sunour XCE groupset, from a 1990 or so Hardrock Comp. The bike isnt in great nick, having been my dads work bike for a bit, and I ended up using it for a while after my Kona was nicked ( :( ) but its a well worthy project if anyone is looking for a bigger framed footnote of MTB hsitory.
The rundown:
20 or 21 inch steel frame, with 1 inch headset - will measure this up
2 wheels
Shimano 300lx chainset in good nick
Suntour Thumbies
4 finger dia compe brake levers
Rear U brake mounted under the chainstays - Dia Compe
front horizontal cantilevers - Dia Compe
XCE front and rear mechs, the rear mech needs a cable clamp bolt
Specialized gel saddle

The paint is not in good shape, having been touched up with the wrong shade of blue. The bike needs a good overhall, the rear hub is a bit suspect, it needs new cables throughout, the chain moves though, and would be ok. Wheels are fairly true. I would like to spend a bit of time getting her into shape, but time is not on my side so i thought id offer her up here. I would say £50 - any takers? will post for £25 extra

main.php

main.php

main.php

and this is what it could look like, if polished up a bit :)
main.php

Where are to of to Cocodemer? Does that mean you are skipping this years Hairy Coo? I take it you are holding on to the orange.

hey Ken

Yup cocodemer and mrs de mer are off around the world, have a russian/china/se asia oz, nz and south american plan, so should be away for a year, look forward to the many many pictures of unusual bikes that I will be taking along the way.

Going to be coming back to continue the Comrie Croft work though, so the Hairy Coo will continue in my absense, digby is in charge, and details are now up on the Drovers Tryst website.
Good news is - especially for Miniken if we didnt put him off too much last time(!), there is a fun course which is taking in the lower half of the course (with new improved easier downhill!) and also a bairns race for primary school kids. The main race is also going to be a bit shorter to avoid so many DNFs :)
And the orange will be secreted away, that is the one that hasnt been sold, ive already said goodbye to 2 konas, a peugot roadster, an old raleigh, specialized hardrock...breaking my heart...

Sounds like a good road trip, enjoy.

I have managed to keep miniKen cycling but not racing :) - he did the red route at Glentress a month or 2 back - so I should manage to persuade him to do the coo again.

It's horrible having to sell prized possessions - what ever the circumstances. My sister did the same - sold everything for a trip around the world - she travelled alone but appears to have made a few life long friends in the process.
She got bored of home when she got back so now lives in Oz and is at university there.
So selling everything can change your life more than you expect.

Before I forget, tell your brother to post up details of the Sidlaw race routes for me.

PM'd. Liking the sound of this Hairy Coo thing. And the trip round the world sounds no bad either.

pm replied

Well i hope the trip does end up back here, new plan mooted of cycling home from Madrid next summer but we'll have to see, maybe pick up some elcheapo retro coolness in Spain, that would be the way to go.
I have big plans for the trails here, so im forming one of those awful 5 year plan things, and it definately involves me and scotland, but im looking forward to all the inbetween stuff a lot

:)

It was a guy from Dundee, willie that knew about the Sidlaw stuff, Ill get back in touch with him before i head off and try and get some routes up here, my pal was down that way recently and said there is still some great fun to be had in the bombholes etc. possible day out ahead

Back