For Sale: 1997 Orange P7 19" Nickel PRICE DROP

dc2100k

Dirt Disciple
For Sale: 1997 Orange P7 19" Nickel (XTR/XT/Middleburn/Hope/Syncros etc)

EDIT:
Thanks to some clarification from Retrobike members I must state that this is a 19” P7. I will measure the CTC seat tube dimension later tonight, but after comparing it with pictures of 17.5” P7s on the site it does appear bigger. In saying that, it does not feel like a 19” bike. I am 5’10” (178cm) and it fits me perfectly – I had always imagined an 18” approx bike was the correct fit for me and that’s what I assumed this was. Apologies for the confusion.

PRICE DROP:
I am not inclined to split the bike, and as FluffyChicken may be right about that being the way to get the best price, I am prepared to drop the price to get a sale. So £100 off my (maybe enthusiastic!) original price to £550. I can't really afford to entertain offers at this price. This includes the original bars/stem/etc. If there is no interest on Retrobike i'll have to stick it on eBay but I would prefer for it to go to an enthusiast. I'll try to get some pics of the bike all cleaned up with the Rip/Rails on here over the weekend.

With some regret I am selling my lovely old Orange P7. There are a number of factors behind this including the fact that I use my singlespeed hack whenever I need to lock my bike up in London, and also the fact that I want to buy a Vespa T5 and so require some additional funds to do this! Here's the lowdown:

1997 Orange P7 17.5" frame and F7 forks in Nickel. Very good condition, with only a small amount of lacquer missing on the top tube where the cables rub (see photo below). No rusting as this bike is kept indoors. All stickers in good shape - a little rubbing on the headtube logo, and a smaller amount of 'Nibbling' to one of the P's in P7. Never crashed or abused so totally straight.

Components:
Ritchey Logic Aheadset
Syncros 1" polished Cattlehead (real Syncros!) - near mint, 95% of stickers there too
Blue Anodised Pace Renthal RC130+ handlebars, like new, uncut
Ritchey WCS foam grips
Orange Steel Seatpost, couple of small marks to rear
Flite TI saddle, no tears or abrasions

Drivetrain:
Deore XTR M950/1 V brakes front, rear and levers
Deore XT M737 Derailleurs front and rear
Middleburn RS3 cranks, blue anodised spider, some wear to crank arms (pretty usual)
Race Face rings (44/34/22 I think), Pace titianium bolts, nearly new LX bottom bracket
Shimano 8 speed Cassette and Chain
James' Special Deore thumbshifters - original MT60 thumbies grafted on to modern alloy rapidfire shifter mounts - sounds strange but have a look in the pictures, I think these are the best looking shifter going! Friction mode only.

Wheels:
Mavic 231 CD laces onto Hope Ti hubs (blue anodised) front and rear.
Drilled for presta, with tubes, Shimano Skewers
The tyres in the photo are Vredestein Moirees but I would like to keep these, so the bike is for sale without tyres or I can put on a nice retro set of amberwall Tioga Rip/Rail Kevlars for free. These are very old now and are a bit perished so I would not recommend using them hard!

Good bits:
All of the above!
Also included are the original Orange HotRod bar, SK8 stem in very good condition. Orange Enduro saddle and Orange Bar Ends are also included but these are slightly cosmetically challenged

Bad bits:
Could do with the drivetrain being set up a bit better. I have never used the inner chainring, mostly the middle which works perfect but recently I have found that there is some chain rub using the outer chain ring. Brakes could function better too with a little time spent on setup (nearly new cartridge pads too). I will have a look at these things over the coming days, but I do not have a lot of free time after working long hours so other things may take priority. I think most here on Retrobike are au fait with this kind on thing anyway.
Inner chainring is missing one of the spacers for the Pace TI bolts.
Pedals are crap - I had SPDs on it but when my shoes fell apart I needed a quick fix and these pieces of junk were just that. I would throw them away but a prospective purchaser will probably want a test ride so I better leave them on for now.

Terms of Sale:
The bike would have cost about £1500+ when new, and when cleaned (have been a bit lazy so the bike is actually quite dirty in the photos, I will clean it before sale!) looks almost like new. This bike receives many admiring glances, and bike-shop staff seem to go all nostalgic when they see it. Collection from North London N16 is the preferred method, although I could deliver within the M25. Cash is my preferred mode of payment - I will accept Paypal but with a 3.5% surcharge. Please PM me for any further info or call me on 07960 672200 anytime. Kind regards, James.

Nice bike ,I have one , bought new in 96.
Not as good condition as yours ,mine originally came with full7 speed stx-rc .
Allso have a vespa mk1 t5.
Good luck with the sale and finding a decent t5 ;)

P7 vs T5!

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the kind words - I think Nickel P7s are beautiful bikes. To be honest I'd keep it but I would feel guilty having two bikes and a scooter. Thus the Orange goes up for sale.

What is your T5 like? the square tails look fantastic - i don't know why they didn't just stick to that style across the range. I think i'll go for a T5 Classic as they are less collectable and a bit cheaper - it will be a London scooter so it may take a bit of a bashing and it would be a real shame to do that to a Mark 1. Can you PM me with any advice you have about buying one? I am going to see a red Classic (1997, 4467miles, £1000) and would like to know what to look for, any particular rust spots, how to spot modified engines, etc. Also, if you know of anywhere good to look for these scooters that would be great.

Cheers,

James.

Re: P7 vs T5!

dc2100k":qkkv7sfe said:
Can you PM me with any advice you have about buying one? I am going to see a red Classic (1997, 4467miles, £1000) and would like to know what to look for, any particular rust spots, how to spot modified engines, etc.

Best bit if advice is to buy one off a little old lady not a 40 something scooter boy. :LOL: Have you passed your test or will you be on L plates? If you've passed you test then a Spanish TX200 is a possibly cheaper option, Mark 1 T5 body with a P200 engine. There's one here number 8. Othwise just look for signs of rust on the footboards and frame. Generally everything can be replaced these days but not cheap to get it done. Front mudguards always rust down the centre.

Hey Fella, think you've got a 19in there. I've a 1995 Nickel P7 in a 17in and yours looks a lot bigger! The main difference is the steerer tube, you have a gap where top and down tube meet the steerer whereas there's no gap on my 17in frame! Sorry for being a smartarse! Beautiful example of a classic tho'! Good luck with the sale mate. :D ( are the hotrod bars and stem for sale??)

My p7 is a 17 and it looks a lot smaller than yours.
Regarding the t5 the previous advice is excellent.
The t5 is quicker than the 200s and is the only 125 you can take your motorbike test on if you do not allready have it.
Check for rust on the running boards as they do not like the english winters.
Finding an honest unmolested example may be difficult.
You can get pattern and genuine replacement parts for every model of vespa these days from companies like beedspeed,it was a near on impossible when I bought my first vespa 50 special 25 years ago.

You will probably find you need to split up everything on the bike to sell it for anywhere near a good value.

FluffyChicken":7aq5s6lo said:
You will probably find you need to split up everything on the bike to sell it for anywhere near a good value.

And if you do, dibs the chainset...

Thanks

Thanks for all the messages - I have updated the advert to state the correct size for the bike and dropped the price as I may have been a little optimistic. It does seem like a lot of bike for the money now. I don't want to split as selling/posting all the bits would probably kill me, and I would always be left with some redundant bits which I don't really want.

Also, thanks for all the tips on Vespa T5s colinr and kerplunk. Colin very kindly sent me a list of things to look at on viewing that will prove invaluable. I only have my CBT at the moment but I intend to do my A2 test quite soon and so a standard T5 125cc is my only option. Can't wait for that heady smell of pre-mix!

Kind regards,

James.

Back