For Sale - 1991 Alpinestars Cro-Mega LX

gkerr4

Retro Newbie
First post and sorry it's a classified :oops: done a lot of reading on this forum though - very interesting place and some cool retro / modern build projects.

anyway - I was going to try and sell my old cro-mega as a "ready to roll, dependable, bombproof commuter", but I wonder if anyone on this forum would like to give it a better life.

I am very much into road cycling now and having recently moved house to a smaller garage I have to do something to reduce the 8-bikes in the garage so this one has to go (I'm also selling a Specialized Langster 'fixie' if anyone is interested!)

This is my 1991 alpinestars cro-mega bought new by me from border cycles in Carlisle in 1992. It is white and orange paint job - shimano LX gear with the ovalised 'biopace' chainrings.

After buying it spent the first couple years being used at weekends on forest trails etc - never really any hard work. In 1994 though i left home with work and didn't take it with me - in fact it kind of kicked about my folks house until 2000 when I bought my first house with a garage - even then it remained un-used until 2005ish when I needed to lose some weight! - I quickly got the cycling bug again and bought a roadie and the cro-mega has only been used occasional with a child seat bolted to the seat-tube and for the odd commute.

It's in good condition for it's age I think - it won't win a concours event by any means but it isn't dented or badly scratched. There is the odd bit of paint missing and the onset of corrosion as with any aged steel framed bike. I'm reasonably mechanically minded so it has been well looked after and despite a lot of parts being original it does ride well and change gear with perfect indexing etc.
A few parts have been changed over the years as you might expect:
- it currently has a Bontrager 'race' saddle after the OE one fell apart.
- it has a replacement set of tektro v-brakes in place of the mini-cantis it is supposed to have - the brake levers aren't really meant for V's but they work well once you re-calibrate your mind/hand relationship :D
- it has a set of geax street runner tyres which run up to 100psi and make it a good fast commuter.
- recently replaced sealed BB unit (square taper)
- downpoint - the smallest chainring got damaged a couple of years ago - made the chain jump off so I removed it and re-set the limit screws on the front mech to change into a 'double'.

I live near Blackpool in West Lancashire - i'm not willing to post the bike but I would be happy to meet up with a buyer on one of the preston M6 junctions - M55 or tickle trout are easy to get to. You are welcome to come view the bike too, of course.

I'd like to think that the bike is worth close to £100ish but this could be my attachment to the bike ruling my head - this seems a friendly place so I will be guided by you people and your best offers.

I'll post back in a second with pictures of this - I need to increase my post count before posting links apparently - please feel free to ask questions or if you want more pictures. Thanks for reading / looking!
Graham

Pictures as promised:

P1000750.jpg

P1000751.jpg

P1000752.jpg

Wow, thats in lovely condition and well worth £100. I'd of welcomed it into my alpinestars sanctuary with open arms a few weeks back (especially with it being so local too), but I have no space i'm afraid.

Good luck with the sale, I just hope it goes to a good home.

what and idiot I am! - I can't believe I forgot to put the size on my advert!

I'm not sure what size it would be but from the centre of the Bottom bracket to the top of the seat collar (in a straight line - remember that the seat tube has an "S" bend in it) it measures just shy of 19.5inches.

it has a real top tube length (c to c) of around 22inches.

sorry for the confusion and the omission of this detail!

Graham

This quality good condition bike is still up for grabs. Just a bit to big for me.

Thanks for the good communication with questions etc.

Cheers.

Very nice, I think I have just wet myself. So close to me as well if only I wasn't a 5' 8" dwarf :cry:

Back