Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1064 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 107  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:53 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

yo-Nate-y wrote:
Here's a little update for US sellers.

USPS wanted $100 and $120 for a frame box and full bike box respectively. Both were headed to the west side of the country at Parcel Post rates/speed. Usually Priority is up to 108", and PP is up to 130"--but it turns out that if the box is over 108" even for Parcel Post there is a significant surcharge---like, 2-3x cost. This was new to me. Maybe my branch was crazy?

Ended up going to FedEx. I insured both and request a sig, but the frame only was $67 and the whole bike was $99.

FWIW...

Yes, I shipped an entire bike, shipped with $1000 worth of insurance to the West Coast from NYC for $56.00, via Fed EX. UPS wanted $83, and USPS was $97. I remember shipping a frame via USPS priority mail for $26, just four years ago. Things have certainly changed.

Though, regarding USPS- some branches are better than others, or the workers less competent.

Register or login to remove these adverts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:24 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

yo-Nate-y wrote:
Here's a little update for US sellers.

USPS wanted $100 and $120 for a frame box and full bike box respectively. Both were headed to the west side of the country at Parcel Post rates/speed. Usually Priority is up to 108", and PP is up to 130"--but it turns out that if the box is over 108" even for Parcel Post there is a significant surcharge---like, 2-3x cost. This was new to me. Maybe my branch was crazy?

Ended up going to FedEx. I insured both and request a sig, but the frame only was $67 and the whole bike was $99.

FWIW...

I think the problem is USPS charges by "dimensional weight" when the box is larger than 108", which means if the package weighs 5 lbs. or 25 lbs. you're going to pay the same crazy price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm 
PoTM & rBoTY Winner
PoTM & rBoTY Winner

Yeah, that's the "balloon charge." Happens for smaller boxes too if they are light.

Sending the uber light Crossmax wheelset to California got me a $10 surcharge for that, but the shipping was only $32 total with insurance. I wonder what the sweetspot of weight is to avoid the surcharge and avoid the regular weight-imposed cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:45 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

yo-Nate-y wrote:
Yeah, that's the "balloon charge." Happens for smaller boxes too if they are light.

Sending the uber light Crossmax wheelset to California got me a $10 surcharge for that, but the shipping was only $32 total with insurance. I wonder what the sweetspot of weight is to avoid the surcharge and avoid the regular weight-imposed cost.

Any idea what the surcharge was for? I've never experienced that. For international shipments, 4 lbs. and/or 24" length is the point at which you're forced to ship via Priority over First Class. Not sure if that also applies domestically (I've been shipping much more internationally lately, so I don't recall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:17 pm 
PoTM & rBoTY Winner
PoTM & rBoTY Winner

The surcharge is for large packages that are very lightweight--hence, "balloon". It even showed up as such on the receipt. Might only be for Parcel Post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:50 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Dimensional weight. Length x Width x Height. not sure about the other carriers but Fedex dims (see above) every package (Fedex packaging excluded eg. large FedEx box) that comes over the counter for a dimensional weight. If the carton is picked up on road by a driver, or put in a dropbox, there are machines on the conveyor belts in the major hubs that automatically measure the dim of the package and if needed bill the account associated with the barcode on that package.

Dimming packages has been around for several decades. dimming packages as they move down the conveyor belts in the major hubs has been around for a few years..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I posted this in the 1998 section, but I figure I'll post it here, too. Brand new in box Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Atom Race, 2001 model. I was holding onto these for a build, but plans changed. Travel is 80mm oil/coil spring. Alloy steerer is 1 1/8" x 270mm uncut. Has mounts for V- and disc brakes. Still has the clear protective stickers over the decals. Includes instruction manual and original box. $350 (£212) posted worldwide (I can discount for US shipping). NOW $280 SHIPPED WITHIN THE US.

SOLD

Last edited by mfh126 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Next up on the chopping block is a pair of silver XT M730 hubs, 32 hole, to match. Used, but in very very good condition. Bearings are smooth, logos are fully visible. $50 plus actual shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 am 
Dirt Disciple

Post from February 4, 2011 has been updated. All parts are sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:30 am 
Dirt Disciple

Specialized BX25 wheels laced to Exage hubs; black rims. The front wheel brake surface looks like the previous owner hardly ever used it! Rear wheel the black anodizing on the braking surface has gone through most of the black anodizing, but these wheels are in fantastic shape.

They come with OEM Specialized Ground Control "Black Max" 26 x 1.95 tires. These tires are in phenomenal shape, and you can tell they never saw a corner! Hairs are still standing crisp and tall on all but the knobs on the center of the tire. This is the Black Max version, the one that still has an actual sidewall, but it is colored black.

Wheels and tires came from a 1993 Rockhopper that looks like it has been sitting on the garage hooks I got it off of since the week it was purchased!

This bike is going to be a rider, so I thought I'd offer them up for trade in case someone that is looking for some "used minty" parts for their restoration ride.

Looking for a straight trade for another wheelset
- modern or retro. I want something for the trails. So if I get rid of this wheelset, I need another so I can ride.

Located in Western Michigan.

Pics of front wheel with Shimano HB-RM50 hub and Ground Control Tire. Sorry for the poor picture quality, but between the camera and the user (me) this is the best I could do!

Pics of Rear wheel with Shimano FH-HG50 hub and hyperglide 13-30 cassette with Ground Control Tire:

Last edited by cyberbackpacker on Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1064 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 107  Next