Mega rare Colnago MTB steel 19in 1990 XT WITHDRAWN

neilob

Retro Guru
Bought this here a few months ago as frame and fork and a collection of components. I had the frame powder coated to a very high standard, fitted the genuine Colnago decals and built it up. Frame is interesting and features internal cable routing which I think unusual for 1990? But then it is a Colnago! Bike is fitted with quality parts including XT mechs, Tektro frogleg cantis, XT combined brake and 7 speed shifters, Sugino triple chainset, XT hubs with brand new rims and spokes, and Selle Italia saddle. Also new headset and BB. All in fabulous condition. It was a whim for me being a Colnago road man but sadly my health isn't perfect due to blood cancer and the reality is that I am unlikely to ever ride it even if the few miles I have done were great fun and it does ride really well. I do have the original XT cantis as well. Is £325 a silly price? I can take much better pics over the weekend. There are very very few of these about so hopefully someone will want to enjoy it.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 853
Re: Mega rare Colnago MTB steel 19in 1990 XT

Decided to keep it.....Obviously Colnago is not a classic brand for MTBers!

Re:

....don’t be too depressed too quickly...

The world is a very big place and ‘the right person’ will be out there.

The bike looks exceptional, and that’s a big plus.

I recently sold a factory-original cherry red P7 to a nice guy in UK who knew what he wanted and what the bike represented. I put it on at around £400 and some said that was WAY too much - but I thought was under the real value - although accepting that value in these kinds of markets are defined by what people are prepared to pay. I thought my price was fair to me and fair to the purchaser. I put on some nice NOS white wildgrippers as a freebie. Scanning ads around the world not just UK, immaculate or excellent NOS bikes can go for crazy figures. Klein prices can be mental.

Now the important part...an ad went on ebay for an almost identical P7 (nickel not cherry metallic) for £695. Over optistimic perhaps, but for me is really suggested that I had got the price right - as I said, for both me and the purchaser.

Does that help? There are some lovely MTBs from the late 80s and early 90s when second-gen geometry was just being sorted, shimano had got its act together (XT developed) and very interesting companies were putting their toes into the market. I really regret that day in mid 1989 when I didn’t buy a stand-out Cinelli Columbus, long top tubed XT shod mtb - and bought a cannondale instead. I think your bike is like that Cinnelli. Rare and good.

Hold on, don’t give up...and I am sure that you can find a good home for it.

Re:

Not depressed at all! Surprised instead because I had made an assumption that the Colnago brand would be as strong in the MTB world as it is in the road world. Especially with its original XT groupset and renovation. I may try again in the future but for now it can rest in the shed. Thanks everyone!

Re:

Double edged sword this.

Yes, Colnago. Know's road bikes, knows how to create great bikes master designers backed up with staff / craftsman who know how to select and fix tubes together in a lovely frame, great paint jobs.

No, Colnago didn't pioneer anything to do with mountain bikes. They probably could have but, it was happening else where at a faster pace. It
can be argued if they really knew anything at all?

So, you probably have a very lovely, extremely well made frame, that may ride great but sadly was just a blip in history.

Back