AMP disc brake caliper adapter to IS...FRONT and REAR

ylwgto

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I am having a local machinist fab up some 6081 aluminum adapters to allow me to run IS calipers on my Mercedes AMP B4 frame and F3 forks (and ditch the AMP D1 caliper set up). I used the schematics posted by another member, AndrewdeKerf, back ion 2010 (see thread below).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108600&start=20

I should have the prototypes next week and will post pics of them fitted to the bike. Hopefully they work!

If they do, I'm happy to have more made by this shop. Researching this, it seems there are a lot of people out there that want to do the same conversion. Please feel free to lmk if interested...the more I have made at once, the cheaper it will be. The first set was $125, but that included all the design time to turn a jpeg schematic into an actual CAD DXF file or something...the next ones will be less. I estimate between $30-40 including the M5 bolts, washers and nuts needed to mount.

Stay tuned.

If they don't fit let me know. I can alter them from the original diagram and produce a .dxf file for the CNC machine.

What size rotor is the rear adapter for? My experiments (read fettling) have resulted in 140mm rotors as max. Apart from I don't think the AMP rear could take much more size wise, but it is the clearance. There are so many slight variations to AMP frames which make it difficult. The welded rear triangles have more clearance, the press & glue not so much. The linkage nut and bolt on the drop out have to be changed as the nut catches the disc (though I have seen some triangles with a different nut & bolt setup where this might not happen).
I will get some photos up later to show what am talking about.

Pictures of what I was trying to describe above.

First is the nut and bolt arrangement as is from the factory.

Second the way I re-jigged it to allow for clearance. 4mm thick washer with counter sunk SS allen head bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_125414_226.jpg
    IMG_20181014_125414_226.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 1,550
  • IMG_20181014_125456_316.png
    IMG_20181014_125456_316.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,550
Here is a pic of the prototype brackets. Don't have them in hand yet, but hope to test fit early next week. I'm planning to swap calipers and 160mm front and rear rotors on. Still need to figure out what length M5 bolts needed to mount to frame.

I had not thought of rotor clearance issues...argh. Here is what my bike is (pressed rear triangle). Pic #1 shows pivot bolt...not sure what inner nut looks like yet. Pic #2 shows the notched frame where the rotor may have clearance issues. 160mm may be tight, hope it works or this will only be a solution for the fork.

I'll post if it works with pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.30.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.30.38 PM.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,360
Re:

Look good. I fear 160mm might catch in two places.
1. the nut on the rear of the frame though this is workable as per my solution.
2. The rotor on mine with a 160 caught/rubbed against the frame where the round part of the drop out presses into the chain stay. This, without grinding part of the chain stay which would weaken the joint/frame, I couldn't see a work around other than 140mm.
Fingers crossed yours is diFferent.
Where you might succeed if the 160mm catches is to use a Hope Mini #5 which is for 140mm rear rotor on IS mount. This might be a work around without a complete redesign.

ylwgto":1z88n69q said:
Damn. We'll see. Those mini hopes are $$$ :(

I think I have a 5 I would happily swap for a post mount. Let me check tomorrow and get back to you.

Edit: yes definitely a mono mini #5, actually bought a couple of bare calipers from dyna-ti a while ago so it’s got brand new seals and pistons too.

Latest posts

Back