**SOLD** AMP Research B3 - in Period and great condition!

dougy giro

Retro Newbie
Due to a house move and lack of space i'm having to sell my beloved AMP Research B3.

I'm the first and only owner of this bike that i got in 1994/5 from my local shop in Durham City who only deal with high end stuff. I saw it part built hung on the wall and i knew i had to have it, so i traded in my 3 month old Orange Clockwork with pace forks for it. I luved it then and I still think its one of the best looking bikes ever made............. and 23lbs for a full disc, full suss bike! Which is still awesome by today's standards! :shock:

I've just measured it and its a 17" frame which i think is the small, which i'm surprised at..... I'm 5'10 and it fits me just fine as its setup in the pictures.

It has frame number C8280 if that means anything to anyone!?

I haven't ridden it in anger since early 2000's, i did a small reburb (brake seals/ fluid, cables sort of thing) in 2011 and have only done a 3 mile pub run since! I still have some of the spares for the calipers (pistons etc)

This is a one owner (me) bike from new and in very original condition and its getting harder to find these bikes.

I'm looking for £700, but i'm open to SENSIBLE offers so any questions, or further pictures let me know.

UPDATE: I've found the spare bits n pieces that i bought direct from AMP in 2011 (see last picture) and they are: Fork Seal Kit, Rear shock Seal Kit, Shock Tool and Two UNUSED Caliper Seal Kits and Two UNUSED Caliper Pistons.

*** SOLD *** After at least 7 'done' deals I managed to find a gent true to his word and I've sold the bike. Its gone to a good home and if his other 'detailed' bikes are anything to go by, this Amp will be one of the very best out there! I can't wait it see it detailed.

Thanks
DG

Attachments

• aIMG_2917.jpg
    aIMG_2917.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • aIMG_2897.jpg
    aIMG_2897.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,313
  • aIMG_2886.jpg
    aIMG_2886.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • aIMG_2884.jpg
    aIMG_2884.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • aIMG_3063.jpg
    aIMG_3063.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 1,130
Re:

well sorry this is not an offer but just a note to say I have one of these in the workshop too, although not with the nice, original AMP disc brakes. It is still ridden in anger off road every now and again much to the confusion of people on the trails. Yes, sub 24lbs is amazing. It's a hoot of a ride and my son (13 years old) does NOT want me to sell it .. ever. They are great machines.

Re:

Sorry last question - have you used the routing for the front mech to run the rear brake as well, rather than down the downtube and through the chainstay?

Normally it's a down pull front mech routed along the downtube...?

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":2wnez4kl said:
What's the yellow thing (technical term) on the downtube...?

Hi BB,

The only issue I've ever had was was when it was a few months old, the rear mech would get difficult to work. Water from the trails or when washing would run down the inner cable (because its exposed) and the into the outer cable where is sat because it cant get out........ obviously then rusting.

So that 'Yellow thing' (that i can't for the life of me remember what its name is!) is simply a thing that attaches to the cable boss, that then allows the rear mech cable to run through it and the bellows stop water from getting in the outer cable! Believe it or not it works!

The rear mech has a similar thing on it that allows a tight cable turn...... a cog hog!

BoyBurning":2cp6aj2z said:
And on the top tube for that matter...

Not seen those before!

I don't know what you are referring to, there's nothing there other than the cable for the rear brake.

BoyBurning":8p3gac85 said:
Sorry last question - have you used the routing for the front mech to run the rear brake as well, rather than down the downtube and through the chainstay?

Normally it's a down pull front mech routed along the downtube...?

As you say - Front mech is a down pull. Down the down tube, through the yellow thing and up to the mech.

Rear brake runs along the top tube and done the top rear stay. (see pic)

Attachments

• aIMG_2881.jpg
    aIMG_2881.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,189
  • aIMG_2883.jpg
    aIMG_2883.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 1,189
Re: AMP Research B3 - in Original / Period and great condition!

I’ve had got loads of great info from this forum over the years, so many thanks for all your help.

However, this is the first time I've tried to sell anything and I'm a tad bemused to be honest. I've had some great PM comments and also 3 separate offers. I declined one outright because they wanted it for nothing, however I agreed to a price with the other two offers.

After that, not a single response or comment back, communications just cease!! One of then is a ‘Grand Master’ poster, so not your average newbie taking a punt sort of thing.

I’ve never known this to happen in other selling forms. Is it just my bad luck or is it this forum which is excellent in every other way?

Back