'97 GT STS with Bomber Z1's - Great Project! [SOLD]

Stef_Lee

Retro Newbie
This is a classic frame/fork combo that will be the basis of a fantastic retro bike project. I'm looking for £300.

I have had full intention of building up and riding this lovely bike for the last 15yrs, it's just never happened and so the bike has lived in the loft instead. With 2 kids I have finally accepted I'm not going to be the one to get this bike back to its former glory - it's time I gave someone else the opportunity.

The frame and the forks are the star here, both of them are absolute classics of the time and in good condition. I'm selling these along with a number of assorted components that are of the same age and of differing condition. Everything comes from bikes ridden in my younger days of mountainbiking in the late '90's/early 00's, so there's a fair amount of retro going on. Detailed pics can be accessed via Dropbox link --> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i711y1uqj9le ... LeEfa?dl=0 (if I can figure out how to get the pics on here I will!)

The full list is:
GT STS DS1000 frame (M, I think - see below)

Marzocchi Bomber Z1 forks

Rock Shox Coupe Delux rear shock

FSA Orbit Headset

Planet X CNC Stem (110mm)

Azonic riser bar (2" rise)

Planet X saddle

Front wheel* - XT hub, Mavic 217 rim, Specialized Team Control tyre
Rear wheel* - LX hub, Mavic D521 rim, Specialized Team Control tyre

*these wheels have been kicking around for a while so are not great condition. The hubs can do with a service and the tyres need replacing, the rims are in ok condition but have been in storage for many years

Frame condition is good, most importantly with this being a thermoplastic STS - no cracks or significant damage. I'm unsure how to size this frame – from middle of BB to top of seattube is around 53cm (I would imagine around M?). The decals are all original and have been joined by a few other stickers added back when the bike was still pretty new. I've given the bike a clean up, but with a polish the rear triangle will be back its full former glory. There are some minor cosmetic scratches to the left side of the downtube and some minor damage underneath the bottom bracket (i.e. right underneath the bike – you have to be looking to see it). All are shown in the photos. I bought this frame from a friend back in the early 2000's who'd had it from new. It was in great condition from when I bought it, as I never got around to re-building I know there is no significant damage here.

Forks are also great condition (for the age). I bought these from myself and had them serviced just before being put on the bike around 15yrs ago, they were then never used again. Some small cosmetic chips here and there from use (again in the photos) but nothing major. All works as it should. Along with the rear shock (also in good condition) they could probably do with a service before use to ensure all is ship-shape.

Other components are of varying quality (there's plenty of photo's of them all). Headset and bottom bracket are both in good condition with no play and so can easily have components bolted to them for use. As mentioned wheels could do with a bit of TLC and saddle's a bit tired – but both give you something to start with.

These frames don’t come up often and this one is paired with a classic fork, let me know if you're interested. I'm based in Bristol.

Attachments

• DSC02473 - Copy-min.jpg
    DSC02473 - Copy-min.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 889
  • DSC02476 - Copy-min.jpg
    DSC02476 - Copy-min.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 889
Re:

Hi, Would you consider posting this beauty? in im in sunny north wales :D Maybe frame only if you would split?
Cheers
Guy

Re: '97 GT STS with Bomber Z1's - Great Project!

...took a bit of faffing but got a couple up there. The Dropbox link should let you see all the pics.

Re: '97 GT STS with Bomber Z1's - Great Project!

Yes, can post. Would just need to track down a bike box from a local bike shop and get price for postage.

Would rather send as a job lot I'm afraid.

Re:

I would like to " dibs" this please, pm is on its way to discuss payment and collection if everything works out.
Many thanks.

Back