Marin team 1993 frame 19"

Re:

Hi, is this still available? I'd need to double-check it's the right size - I have a Bear Valley converted to a utility/touring bike which is too small as set up and figure this might be just the thing. You don't have a fork to go with it?
thanks

oh also, is this 1 1/8 threadless? I thought Marins of that age were mainly 1 1/8 threaded, like mine, but that head tube looks fatter, and I figured it was maybe a 'premium' thing for the Marin Team to have a threadless setup at the time...

badams":1kb52864 said:
oh also, is this 1 1/8 threadless? I thought Marins of that age were mainly 1 1/8 threaded, like mine, but that head tube looks fatter, and I figured it was maybe a 'premium' thing for the Marin Team to have a threadless setup at the time...

Its only the forks that have threads or not - the frame would never know the difference!

oh, I am ignorant... I thought the two were incompatible. surely you can't whack an aheadset and threadless forks in an old 1 1/8 Marin? I thought the head tube was different ?

The head tube diameter is the same size. The headset cups are the same size and often interchangeable with Ahead/ threaded parts to create headsets out of spare bits for those cheap builds.

Remember only the top few cm is ever threaded anyway so the bottom cups are often identical, say between a Tioga Avenger or many DiaCompe headsets.

Re:

Ahhh I think I remember now, my Marin is 1 1/4"... That's why I couldn't use a threaded fork! Thanks for the info anyway.

Re:

Gah, sorry, typo, I meant threadless! I have threaded forks, of course; it was the stem and replacement headset that were the problems (the former solved with a shim, the latter kept in service in the end rather than replacing as new 1 1/4 seemed expensive and rare if I recall).

Back