**SOLD** Dawes Ranger 22", mid-1980s. Reynolds 531

badams

Dirt Disciple
**This has now sold - thank you!**

I'm selling my Dawes Ranger - for those who aren't familiar, this was Dawes' first mountain, or 'all-terrain' bike, and was/is known as the 'UK's first mountain bike'. Whether or not that's true, I don't know, but it's an amazing machine - slender lugged Reynolds 531 tubing, long wheelbase, three-piece forks - basically just like a Thorn nomad but (at least now) at a fraction of the price!

It's 22" (seatpost centre to top), which I think was the largest frame they made in this model. It'd certainly cope well with tall riders but is also fine for me at 5'9" (though I'd like more seatpost showing ideally and a slightly lower standover height).
Comes with some original parts and some replacements. In particular, the wide bars with Sakae stem and (really lovely) all-metal slim Suntour shifters; and I think the rims, though the rear hub looks like a replacement so perhaps that wheel was rebuilt at some point. 15 speed, so the rear block is probably original too.

The bits I'd want to replace if I were keeping it are the crankset and rear mech, both of which are much lower quality than would've been fitted originally and must've been cheapo replacements when the originals wore out. The chain is old too, and there are some scratches on the bars. But it's perfectly rideable, and the overall impression is good. It's finished in a kind of forest green - whether this is original or not I don't know, but if it's been resprayed then it must have been professionally done, as it looks the job. There are a few chips here and there but nothing major - it's certainly useable as is.

I really wanted to keep this and make either a pared-down MTB or a Thorn-style rough-stuff tourer / utility bike with hub gearing, but I've had to concede that I have too many bikes already... so hope someone might be able to make use of it.

I'm after £70, and I'd prefer if it were collected (from Norwich), though I could have my arm bent to post it at cost.

Payment by PayPal gift please, or PP regular and you pay fees; or bank transfer. Or cash on collection!

Attachments

• Ranger.jpg
    Ranger.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 531
Back