vintage Kona Cider Cone by Joe Murray

tomder

Retro Newbie
Up for grabs this baby is

I need funds to get a proper bike for a mate of mine who suffers from depression and needs to spend more time outdoors + to commute to work.

Kona meant to be his bike but after looking at it I have decided that due to still being in the original condition is not good for him and could be a joy for Kona nutter.

If I had more space and were more into MTB I suspect I would simply keep Kona and get my mate something else but I literally have space for this bike or my new project Dolan DF3 ...

Anyway, I believe that this one dates to about 1995-1997 as its still marked as design by Joe Murray who later left for voodoo or something bikes.

Full Suntour with thumb shifters.
all in the working order but would need a good clean / brake pads and cables.

I actually went for a ride on this bike and its a pleasure (as long as you are as old as myself and remember this sort of bikes). My son went for a ride as well and couldn't stop complaining how bad it was compare to his Trek with hydraulic brakes and Deore and so on... oh well

it isnt perfect but was kept in the garage and used for pleasure / shopping.

Once you clean it and re-grease I would give it good 8 out of 10 (for what it is)

£250 - I dont think its much if you can get one like this. But I only need to finance 'low maintenance' ride and that + maybe something on a top should allow me to do so.

collection from Twyford / Berkshire

thanks

t

CameraZOOM-20130922173636861.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130922173709141.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130922173701557.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130922173659297.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130922173648072.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130922173650985.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130922173644638.jpg

picture was taken after she was ridden by my son who is about 4'11' - he had a little trouble peddling but not too much. Ill check if there is a size on the frame later on today.

tomder":152h8owt said:
Anyway, I believe that this one dates to about 1995-1997 as its still marked as design by Joe Murray who later left for voodoo or something bikes.

Full Suntour with thumb shifters.
all in the working order but would need a good clean / brake pads and cables.

With full Suntour that looks like a '91 or '92 in the optional black.

tomder":152h8owt said:
Ill check if there is a size on the frame later on today.

Looking at the head tube, that looks like a 19" or 20", which may explain why someone 4'11" may have found it a little on the large side. :D

Looks to be pretty good nick, GLWTS (way too big for me).

Nice..welded on seat clamp bosses = 1991.

At a glance it looks very original as well bar the grips and saddle. The head tube makes it look like 20"to me, it certainly appears bigger than my old Kona Hot which was a 19".

Good luck with the sale :)

Guys thanks for all the information. This is the main reason I don't want this bike to get run down and anyone to start replacing parts with a 'newer' one.

Same with my own mental love in vintage track bikes... ;-)

That's a 92, 21" monster, in the optional black paint. I restored a red version this year and it was very nice, but absolutely massive. Christ knows how you got your leg over it! :LOL: Is that the Joe Murray combined bottle cage / tyre kit?

GLWTS

I know I should probably add this to that page. I sold the red version, same size, in mint condition, earlier this year for just over £220 including postage.

Back