Klein Attitude Team USA Dolomite 1991 or 1992 Shimano XT MC1

ylwgto

Retro Guru
SOLD

*edited to reflect change in date of manufacture. thank you forum members for the clarifications.

This is a truly stunning Klein Attitude mountain bike. This is likely a 1991 or 1992 Attitude in Team USA Dolomite (bright green/white/magenta) livery with a matching Uni-Klein oversized fork (please see ensuing debate as to year of manufacture...). The original Mission Control (MC1) stem/bars and oversized fork are with the frame in beautiful paint-matched condition. The bike is all original. The paint is stunning with absolutely no fading anywhere. There are a few very small nicks and light scuffs in the paint (see pics in link and detailed description below), otherwise it is close to perfect. No dents or dings at all. All the XT M73X components are equally beautiful and I just tuned and cleaned the bike. The previous owner kept it in storage for most of its life and it rides incredibly, like a new bike. The cables and housing are original and the proprietary Klein internal cable guide plastic is present and in fantastic condition. The original paint matched bottle cage bolts, Chain Control antisuck plate and proprietary pressed BB and headset are all in excellent condition as well.

Visit this link for 60+ high resolution photos:
s456.photobucket.com/user/ylwgto/slideshow/1991%20Klein%20Attitude?sort=3

Bike measures:
standover at top tube center 29.75"
seat tube center to center of top tube 16.5"
seat tube center to top of seat tube 19"
top tube center to center actual 22"
top tube center to center effective 23"
*I believe Klein called the 19" center to top bikes 20" bikes or Mediums.
Serial number frame (rear dropout) A7F7
Serial number fork (dropout) AOB3F

Paint condition:
1 4mm scuff lower front of non-driveside fork leg
1 very light small scuff in "I" of Attitude on drive side top tube
2 small scuffs in both "Ts" of Attitude on non driveside top tube
1 small chip (1mm) on top of non drive side chainstay
**these are all extremely minor and difficult to photograph. please look in the pics

Components:
Shifters- Shimano XT SIS 7 speed M732 thumb shifters
Brake levers- Shimano XT SLR M733
Brakes- Shimano XT SLS cantilevers M734 with XT pads
Crankset- Shimano XT M730 175mm with dust caps. Shimano SG 46/36/24 rings
Front derailleur- Shimano XT M735
Rear derailluer- Shimano XT M735
Cassette- Shimano XT HG Hyperglide 7 speed 12-28
Chain- Shimano HG Narrow
Pedals- Shimano XT platform M735 with original Specialized cages/straps
Wheelset- Wheelsmith built.
Hubs- Front, Shimano XT M730 hub; Rear Shimano XT M732 hub
Rims- polished Campagnolo Thorr 32H
Spokes- Wheelsmith double butted SS
Tires- Original Panaracer Smoke 26 x 2.1 (still have molding nubs and factory coating)
Skewers and seat binder- Shimano XT M730 quick release
Grips- Specialized original grips
Saddle- Selle Italia Turbo white. date coded 1989. light scuffs and normal wear, but a great saddle
Seatpost- Shimano XT M730 27.2. Some insertion wear to black anodization and saddle bag wear, but very nice

Again, this is a VERY rare bike in near perfect condition. COLLECTOR QUALITY.
I am looking for $2690 + shipping (USA about $90, Europe about $200)

Attachments

• P1012995.JPG
    P1012995.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,709
  • P1013005.JPG
    P1013005.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,707
  • P1013003.JPG
    P1013003.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,705
  • P1013004.JPG
    P1013004.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,706
  • P1013006.JPG
    P1013006.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,705
  • P1013007.JPG
    P1013007.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,707
  • P1013008.JPG
    P1013008.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,710
Re: Klein Attitude Team USA Dolomite 1990 Shimano XT MC1

Very nice bike, but I'm a little confused.

Are you suggesting the frame was built in '90 and then sat around a while at the factory before being built with '92 forks rather than the original box forks...?

Genuine question, not an attack...

BB

Hi,
Legitimate question. Yes, that is what I am thinking is going on with this bike. I have seen other serial numbers on '91 and '92 Team Attitudes and this bike has a lower serial number than them (if the numbers actually run sequentially). I could be wrong, but I do believe the frame was built in 1990 and sold in 1992 with the uni-klein rather than the box crown fork, similar to how some Top Gun frames sat around in the factory and were painted as and sold as Attitudes later. Regardless, it is a beautiful bike. Thanks for the question and I'm happy to answer any others you might have.

Hello, very nice tidy example, really not many about like this now.

Based on Uni-Klein fork, decals being white outlined, M734 brakes and Thorr rims I would date this a 1991, but who knows with Kleins!

GLWS :cool:

Considering the decals on it i would also say it is a very late 1991. Nice bike though.

Box crown forks did crack a lot so maybe the unilklein is a warranty replacement?

interesting thought, although the original owner told me the bike spent most of its life in dry storage, so I doubt it was ever ridden enough to crack a fork. but, anything is possible.

are frame and fork serial numbers supposed to match?

"similar to how some Top Gun frames sat around in the factory and were painted as and sold as Attitudes later"

You can't be serious. Let me rewrite your ad for you, there is no shame in honesty.

I bought this bike on craigslist for a grand. I don't know anything about it other than it's worth more. Someone buy it and don't ask me any questions because it won't help my cause.

Add pretty pictures and wait for the cha-ching email from paypal.

Back