1991 Kona Explosif Pro - SOLD

Major22

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey folks,

Next bike that needs to go is my 21” 1991 Kona Explosif Pro

Bought from original owner (she bought it from Switzerland in 1993). It came with a full Deore DX group, but I decided to replace it with mostly Deore XT (some NOS) as the 1991 Explosif could be had with XT too.

XT thumbies and brake levers, DX brakes. Tange Prestige Concept frame, triple butted P2 fork.

The rims are very nice Ritchey Vantage Comps (32 h), were NOS before building up them last spring, and the hubs are tri-colour Shimano 600, also NOS before built up.

Seat post is Tange Prestige, was also NOS, seat is Avocet Racing I.

The frame is in great condition, a few paint chips and scratches here and there, but no dents or dings anywhere. The colour has gone (probably due to exposure to the sun, the paints Kona used at the time weren’t that durable, colour-wise) from a bright apple green to a moss-like green, but I actually prefer the ’new’, more subdued colour myself.

New Shimano HG 91 chain, XT cassette.

All decals except for: Velocity on stem, K on head tube, and Joe Murray on the fork, are original.

I have also changed the original 150 mm Velocity stem for a 130 mm one, but the buyer will receive both. (Available (at cost) are also some or all of the original DX parts.)

Asking £320 for the whole package.

Cheers, Jan

Edit: Just noticed the front tire is flat in the pics - will be remedied of course!

Pics:

Re: 1991 Kona Explosif Pro

Another lovely bike Jan. Bargain too IMO. Do you have something special coming?

For what height person is the saddle set to in the photos?
Would you post to edinburgh?

raidan73":2e5zotm2 said:
Another lovely bike Jan. Bargain too IMO. Do you have something special coming?

Thanks for the nice words :) Yes, I might have something coming along later this fall, so unfortunately I need to make some room.

thesurfbus":1grgi2z5 said:
For what height person is the saddle set to in the photos?
Would you post to edinburgh?

I'm 187 cm with a 91 cm PBH, not sure if the saddle is set to my height in the pics, can check. And sure, I would post to Edinburgh.

Can you tell me the difference between Explosif and Explosif Pro?
Thanks

TFIG":7sady1mk said:
Can you tell me the difference between Explosif and Explosif Pro?
Thanks

Framewise the only difference is the colour. The Pro model had more colour -options, although there might be other differences (spec) too.

That's so nice. It's the right size for me as well.... I'm close to making an impulse buy. Please somebody buy it. The sooner this picture isn't available the better !

Latest posts

Back