Explosif 19" 1989 splatter frame "project" £50 SOLD

futuristicoldman

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This came to me via ebay after much pissing about, heartache (for several people) and a spiralling price tag. It arrived as a full bike which I was going to enjoy fettling up but when it arrived it became clear that there was too much knackered and scruffy stuff on it to restore as a bike. When stripping it bare in order to start afresh I discovered the headset cups were not as tight as they could be in the headtube, I had it brass filled, faced and reamed to the correct tolerances and started to clean off the crappy paint in order to do a "home spatter job" but I find my attentions have moved in a different direction and this is sat idle, this combined with all the clobber I bought this week means its time to pass this over to somebody who will do it justice. Anyway here it is, a 19" kona explosif in need of a paint job, included is the original 1" velocity stem and (if they are wanted) a scruffy xc pro (or maybe comp,i'm not sure) chainset, a tatty stronglight headset, a manky set of deore beartrap pedals and a mingy short cage xt rear mech. I pulled all these bits straight off without checking them in any way so consider them spares or repair, they may be usable with a spot of brasso and elbow grease. I have a pair of xc pro shifters which can go in too if I can figure out how to put the mechanism back together. Finally theres an xc pro front hub on a mavic m231 cd rim which I just rebuilt and fitted with fresh cartridge bearings, theres front and rear suntour q/r's too.
Dont expect a polished dream bike, more of an entertaining/engaging rebirth project.
£70 paypal gift
I can post this within mainland uk excluding highlands and islands for an extra fiver
Thanks for looking

*******THE WHEEL HAS NOW BEEN SOLD SO THE FRAME AND EXISTING PARTS ARE NOW £50
SOLD THANKS

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 861
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 861
  • e3.jpg
    e3.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 861
  • e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 861
Re: Explosif 19" 1989 splatter frame "project"

From the work you did on the headtube I'm guessing the frame is sound and undented? May well be interested if so, will give it some thought...

The rest of the frame is fine, theres a chainsuck scar but aside from that all is ok. Hanger is straight, b/b threads are good, inner seat tube is dirty but not rusty. It just needs a lick of paint and a bit of good loving. The headtube fill was done by a reputable frame builder rather than by me with a soldering iron!

Thanks, sounds good. Just realised however: no forks. Price still seems good - and I've just realized it would have been a track 2 which would probably double the price - but a different proposition altogether in terms of getting it into shape.I'll keep it in mind but no dibs or anything. Cheers though, nice opportunity for someone.

Re: Explosif 19" 1989 splatter frame "project" £50

jaypee":4ahmdgls said:
Buy it please. I keep looking at it and if it's around another day I will have to buy it.

Ok, thanks futuristicoldman for your detailed reply but I'm reluctantly going to pass.

I would be looking to keep the finish and I was hoping a spray clear-coat might preserve it as is looks-wise (which I like, even with the bare metal) but prevent rust. But this is not something I've done before and a bit of research suggests its not possible.

I think it's beyond my abilities to do it justice and the bare metal will need dealing with quickly before rust starts to set in. So I can't bide my time. I can just about afford it as is so I can't just pay for a decent job to protect the frame.

A real shame because I could never afford a splatterpaint explosif otherwise - but this is one for someone capable of taking on that work or expense quickly - maybe you integerspin? ;-)

In all honesty I would't consider the paint worthy of preservation. If a tester was done first to ensure the 2 paints didnt react then I suppose it would be possible to stick a bit of black overspray over the missing bits and make it look good from a distance. I have one of those little humbrol paint pots at work which just so happens to be an exact match for the blue splats, i'm sure the pink would be easy to replicate or maybe buy off the shelf.
I am still tempted to return this to the slow burner cupboard and look at it some other time when there are more minutes in the day, I'd love to try my hand at the throwing paint at it.....Mmmm, maybe a rethink is in order if it is still here after the weekend.

Back