Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:53 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Just thought I would have heads up to anyone posting. Prices have of course gone up.
But there is a small/medium parcel split, take note of the <16x16x16cm small exception size if you need to send parcels thicker than 8cm thick.
I also think there is a drop to insured value. I hardly post so can't quite remember.

http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2013

Of course their online calculator will give specific prices.

Register or login to remove these adverts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 am 
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC

Yes got caught by this yesterday posting my jacket back to CRC. Inclusive insurance has dropped to £20.00 too. Cost me £6.75 recorded to post a light jacket with the right amount of insurance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

If I understand it right, and TBH their new pricing leaflet isn't very user friendly, you can now send stuff 2nd class up to a higher weight than before, but they are pushing you to use Parcel Force for heavier/bigger items. At a price, obviously :roll:

It is also worth mentioning the 610mm length limit for packets - this has always been in place but it makes sending bars a bit tricky, and it also comes down to your local PO. Mine measures everything to the nearest mm, yet the other day I received some bars that were way over 700mm packaged up, by 1st class, which shouldn't have been possible, if the senders PO had measured them... :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:20 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I mentioned this in the sticky in General chat, as it's going to be annoying for a lot of retro bikers.

I've been using MyHermes as an alternative for about 6 months now, but with these changes coming in this week, I'll be using them a lot more. e.g. Saddle that packed measures 30x22x10 but weighing only 350g would have previously cost £2.20 to post 2nd class, but now it's a medium parcel, costing £5.20 2nd class.

Using MyHermes, it cost £3 - 2 day service, tracked. Print postage at home, drop off at local corner shop (mine's open 6am to 11pm, so highly convenient).

I've sent 5 items this week with MyHermes, saving over £20 over the new Royal Mail prices.

No changes to Royal Mail large letters so the smallest items are still best posted with RM.

If the Government wanted a way to stimulate competition in the market for delivery services, then surely this has to be the move to do it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 am 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

Why did you pay to send stuff back to CRC? They use the collect+ service, basically package it up and attach a returns label (supplied with the order when it was sent) then drop it off at a local shop that offers the service. There's plenty around, sure there's one near you somewhere. I used it recently and thought it was very good.

MyHermes are very good for small/med packages that weigh quite a bit, as RM still use weight as a price guide quite a lot a 5kg package could be expensive but MyHermes is quite cheap, especially if you're selling via goods payment or eBay as its tracked and signed for for only £1 extra.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:43 am 
Old School Grand Master

Here's a happy customer they've just lost then...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 pm 

Rob Atkin wrote:
Why did you pay to send stuff back to CRC? They use the collect+ service, basically package it up and attach a returns label (supplied with the order when it was sent) then drop it off at a local shop that offers the service. There's plenty around, sure there's one near you somewhere. I used it recently and thought it was very good.

MyHermes are very good for small/med packages that weigh quite a bit, as RM still use weight as a price guide quite a lot a 5kg package could be expensive but MyHermes is quite cheap, especially if you're selling via goods payment or eBay as its tracked and signed for for only £1 extra.

Its not a straightforward warranty claim Rob the item was bought over two years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:15 pm 

chrisv40 wrote:
Rob Atkin wrote:
Quote:

Its not a straightforward warranty claim Rob the item was bought over two years ago.

Ahhh fair enough, still sucks you have to pay to send it back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:04 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

LikeClockwork wrote:
It is also worth mentioning the 610mm length limit for packets - this has always been in place but it makes sending bars a bit tricky, and it also comes down to your local PO. Mine measures everything to the nearest mm, yet the other day I received some bars that were way over 700mm packaged up, by 1st class, which shouldn't have been possible, if the senders PO had measured them... :?

Was discussing this via PM last night... RM website isn't hugely friendly, but this was what I noticed regarding sending bars..

http://www.royalmail.com/parcels-made-easy

The following items are also priced as Small Parcels:

Parcels that measure up to and including:
Length: 16cm and Width: 16cm and Depth: 16cm

Roll or cylinder shaped parcels that measure up to and including:
Length: 45cm and Diameter: 8cm

Roll or cylinder shaped parcels larger than these sizes can be posted as Medium Parcels up to and including 90cm in length and up to and including 104cm (length plus twice the diameter)

So that means that bars can still be sent as a medium parcel (starting £5.25 for 2nd class I think)?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:30 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

I also use my hermes a bit , but they lost a pair of scott at4 bars in January (delivered to wheelie bin) and it was emptied that day ...still waiting for my refund off them :twisted: