1982 Cleland Aventura FOR SALE (again!)

GeoffApps

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
The offer was made, the offer accepted. Arrangements suggested, followed by a pause lasting several days.
Then came the back-out. So here it is, up for sale again, as before...

I'm busy designing and building my new prototype and need some funding, so I've decided to sell my original Cleland Aventura.
It's currently rideable, complete with many years worth of fine trail dirt.
Therefore, it would benefit from an immediate service, or even a complete overhaul and renovation.
It will probably need a new bottom bracket bearing, although the one fitted seems to be OK.
The fitted brake shoes will need re-lining. I'm sure I have a spare re-lined set somewhere,and will be included if I find them.
Also included with this bike will be a new decal/sticker set, four Hakkapeliittas; two used and two brand new with ice spikes (that's in addition to the tyres already fitted, of course!), plus some spare spikes with a fitting/removal tool.
Because of its rarity, I'm setting the price at £1000, however, in case this is a 'fantasy price' I'll give any reasonable offer serious consideration.
Ideally, I'd like cash on collection, or I can arrange courier delivery, or even deliver it myself, for an additional cost; these matters being the subject of negotiation.

I will change the title to 'SOLD (provisionally)' if a suitable offer is made, and remove '(provisionally)' once the transaction is complete. Additionally, I am going to list this bike on eBay.

Attachments

• DSCF2271-copy.jpg
    DSCF2271-copy.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 1,622
  • DSCF2267-copy.jpg
    DSCF2267-copy.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 1,622
That's a pretty significant piece of history right there, glad to see it's staying in the community at least, although nowhere near as glad as I am to hear of how the funds are getting spent! All the best with the development, would love to hear more of how you're getting on :cool:

Now where's Mr.Wallace...? :LOL:

EDIT
Here is the previous thread with some excellent extra info:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=242068&p=1816969#p1816969

And more history, very interesting regardless whether you're interested in buying or not!
http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/

Having never actually one of these in the "flesh", would this bike suit one of our taller brethren ?

What height of person is it currently set up for in the photo ?

Marmite King":26mbftqg said:
Having never actually one of these in the "flesh", would this bike suit one of our taller brethren ?
With a long enough seat pin this bike should be OK for a rider up to 6ft 2ins (my height). Frame size is far less critical with Clelands, than with standard mountain bikes where reach is much more important.

Whilst it is still crucial that the seat is high enough to allow for full leg extension, handle bar position height and reach are not critical as long as the rider does not bang their knees on the lower tubes of the handlebars. Ideally the rider should be able to hold the handlebar grips without putting any body-weight on their arms. My estimate is that this would best suit a rider in the 5ft 3ins to 6ft range.
Marmite King":26mbftqg said:
What height of person is it currently set up for in the photo ?
I can't be sure but Geoff is about 5ft 6ins tall.

Attachments

• 1983 Cleland with off-road Tag-along.jpg
    1983 Cleland with off-road Tag-along.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,318
For more info on Clelands take a look at this earlier "for sale" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208719

The 1982 bike for sale here and on eBay has some improvements compered to its original 1992 specification. These changes were made by David Wrath-Sharman at Highpath Engineering. The seat tube reinforced area at the top where the top tube and seat stays connect has been lengthened so that it now ends bellow not above the cluster of tubes. This is to correct a weakness in the original frames that too often caused the seat tube to crack just below the quick release lever. The original Super Champion wheel rims have been replaced by the stronger Mavic 'Module 3' rims and the narrow Leleu front hub brake has been replaced by a wider flanged Leleu brake identical to that found on the rear of the bike. This improves the lateral strength and stability of the front wheel. Finally the Original TA chainset has been replaced with a Highpath MicroDrive made from modified Japanese components. This was a forerunner of the later Suntour MicroDrive chain-sets.

Despite the rarity of this bike, if you know where to look spares or replacement parts are still available . And because of the mud guarding and low maintenance ethos of the design, its parts hardly ever need replacing. Despite all weather riding, most of the parts and bearings on my 1983 Aventura are original. After 30 years the headset did seize but this was because the grease had completely dried out. The one exception to the low-maintenance ethos are the bottom bracket bearings that require frequent oiling. On my bikes I have replaced them with modern units designed for use on Fat-Bikes with 100mm wide bottom bracket shells.

Riding a Cleland
Firstly, the Cleland is a very different dynamic experience to that of riding a mountain-bike. The high bottom bracket takes a little getting used to. But once you get used to it it is not a problem and it means that this bike has excellent stability and ground clearance. With its original Hakkapeliitta tyres this bike weighs about 36lbs. But with modern tyres and tubes could weigh a more respectable 32lbs. Despite the opinions of people who have never ridden these bikes they are not in fact sluggish and slow. I am not a strong rider but can keep up on the local club run and with modern tyres I can even hold my own on the road sections though when hill climbing, lighter modern bikes have a noticeable advantage. When it comes to steep hills it can still out climb many modern machines.

Good luck with the sale, wish I could have it.

Just read the website and the uk and new Zealand share a bit of terrain similarities. We tend to have a lot more rocky fast areas, which are more suited to suspension.

Have you considered an ability for people to donate ? with your PayPal account details people could donate and you could continue development.

There's a website for' investing' in new projects, escapes me for the moment but I'll get back to you!

Back