1983 Cleland Aventura No. 5
It is believed around 23 Cleland Aventura's were produced by Geoff Apps between 1982-1984, (as distinct from English Cycles' Range Rider and subsequent Highpath variants) with only a few complete or in process of restoration. The remaining frames are either in the hands of Cleland enthusiasts or their whereabouts unknown.
This is Cleland Aventura No 5, effectively the third “production” machine, with No’s1 & 2 being pre-production models. Geoff recalls only two machines were supplied in all-black finish.
Offered with this very rare and early example, are
• a set of original Andrew Hague panniers (in excellent condition with no rips or damage, zips intact.)
• The original Huret Duo-par rear mech in very good condition, minimal wear with some light scarring through use. (early machines were offered with various mechs until the full Shimano groupo became available)
• 1 x Shimano spare Deore front mech c.1983/84
• 1 x set lightly used Hakkapellita Speed studded tyres
• 1 x set of “new” un-used Hakkapellita studded and in excellent condition
• 1 x spare mudguard section
• Complete set of original water slide transfers
This bike has been subject to very light renovation, not restoration, and the paintwork has been touched in where paint loss had occurred (rear rack and chain stays) There is no corrosion, all tubes are sound and undamaged, but as it is now 28 years old, the paintwork does show signs of use, cable rub, chips and wear consistent with light use and age. This is not a concours restoration, but a lightly preserved original machine from the very early days of UK MTB history, looking for its next custodian. In addition to this, I have re-made the chain guard to original pattern (thanks gmacleland), replicated the removeable front mudguard, made some Aventura TT spec mud flaps and sourced a pair of N.O.S. Oakely ‘bar grips. New inner cables have been fitted, all bearings are good & still retains its original Needle bearing BB ! I have also fitted the matching Shimano rear mech, a recommended period upgrade from the Duo-par, which was prone to damage from fallen branches , rocks etc..
Tyres fitted are Hakkapellita Speed (not studded) in good condition and plenty of tread.
All in all a rare machine, with even rarer spares offering a most enjoyable & unique off-road experience!
I’m looking for £1200 cash on collection or I can personally deliver at a one way cost of £0.20 p/mile
Further images can be found here at: http://photobucket.com/ClelandAventura