1998 Independent Fabrication "Special" SOLD

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
SOLD

Selling my ex-wife's MTB that I built up for her; rarely ridden; excellent condition: $900.00 USD

Frame
Serial Number: 147S810
1998 Independent Fabrication
T.I.G. Welded Reynolds 853 steel tubing
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=11002

The Special

Size: 10"
Top Tube Length: 20.875"
Head Tube Length: 80 mm
Head Tube Angle: 71.0*
Seat Tube Angle: 72.0*
Wheelbase: 39.25"
Seatpost size: 29.4 mm
Headset Size: 1.125" (1 1/:cool:
Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: 1.125"
Chainstay Length: 16.75"
Bottom Bracket Height: 12"
Bottom Bracket Shell: 68 mm

Frame has a few nicks and scratches, mostly from leaning against walls and setting down on the ground; took many photos to capture this, but otherwise, paint is pristine, and no rust, dents, cracks, breaks. The metallic flakes in the purple still shine, and decals are in great shape.

Components:
-Shimano XTR M950 V-Brakes and Levers, Crank arms
-Special xtr M950 crankset spider adapter to accomodate standard 110 bcd rings, with a two ring setup; a granny gear can be used, but is not currently installed.
- Sram Grips, Shifters and rear derailleur, but xtr shifter/brake lever pods are available, along with a xtr rear derailleur.
- Shimano Deore XT Front Derailleur
- Thomson 29.4 seat post
- WTB SHE Pro Gel saddle; other saddles available
- Spinergy Rev-X-Roks wheelset, in good shape
- Nuke Proof threadless stem (1 1/:cool:
- Scott Carbon Fiber handlebar

and now for the many photos from various angles and distances:
The frame is purple, not blue...this photo, due to the flash and the metallic in the frame, came out looking blue, otherwise, the rest of the photos are true to color:
8290eed1.jpg

e985ad83.jpg

f7d76794.jpg

b6404a86.jpg

f5bed5c5.jpg

15e761df.jpg

655e7649.jpg

d31b19de.jpg

808437ef.jpg

283541be.jpg

4ddf8c6f.jpg

f1470a2b.jpg

b22dcc65.jpg

ba423120.jpg

73a15651.jpg

2eb68e61.jpg

fe157762.jpg

e6969d4b.jpg

9e43182c.jpg

d3a42a5d.jpg

0f8935bb.jpg

I'm asking $900 us dollars, and willing to ship across the pond, in two boxes for $135. US shipping will be one box, and about $75.

First building it up a couple years ago (only one I could find):
IMG_0030.jpg

If it doesn't sell quickly, I will be parting it out down to the frame/fork, as I'll probably get more than my asking price, in pieces, but my price as a whole is very reasonable imho.
Also, check out the xtr crank with the optional spider that allowed me to run standard 110BCD chainrings (Race face) comes in handy when replacing rings, not to have to find a nos m950 set.

Though the "Special" bikes were made with "woman specific geometry", I don't look at this bike as a woman's bike. I had a male friend who gladly rode it, and liked the feel; grant it, he was 5'3" and no more than 140 pounds.

Anyway, great bike for you or your significant other. Thanks.

May I dib this pending a quick assessment tomorrow morning of whether or not it will fit my other half? :)

Thanks for the comments :)

It was a labour of love. Took over two years to find a "Special" in great condition, and in either purple or orange, (her preferred colors), then the parts, etc..

Hova, I'll give you first dibs for a couple days, plus I still have to get up detailed current pics and parts list. So, you are first in the que.

I hope to take the photos tonight or tomorrow.

all specs and current photos are now posted as of November 1st, at 10:39pm eastern. Thanks for your patience. I'll move to part it out by next week, if there isn't much interest as a whole.

Thanks for the additional pics and measurements Rob... unfortunately it's just a bit too small for my wife. I love it so much though that I'm tempted to pick it up and put it in storage for my daughter until she's big enough to ride it... but seeing as she's only one year old right now, it would be a bit extreme, no? Us crazy retrobikers... :shock: :LOL:

If it doesn't sell (and I truly do hope it does, because it's a wonderful build as is!), I would be interested in the frame/fork by itself, as I think I could convince both me and my wife to preserve this bit of history for another 12 or 13 years!

Thanks again...

:LOL: That's exactly what I was thinking for my 3 year old daughter. Would like to register interest on the frame and forks if they become available.

thanks

Cass

Back