Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:19 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:54 pm 
Old School Hero

Sadly, I cannot bring myself to spend the money to repair this gorgeous frame. It is a 53cm (20.5") old school beauty with a one inch HT built out of Columbus Max OR tubing. Serotta, as many of you know, is considered the pinnacle of American framebuilders; this frame was a beautiful example of early 90's craftsmanship.

The frame has many small holes in the chainstays and a spot of rust forming at the weld joining the seat tube to the BB shell. I have discussed it with an EXPERT framebuilder who said it could definitely be repaired, but was not worth the cost unless it was my dream (it isn't).

Creative welders could possibly weld a reinformcing sleeve onto each of the chainstays and that would give it some life. To be honest, I think it could be ridden for a while (as pimped winter beater) but no guarantees, of course.

Photos on demand. Oh yeah - the price? Zero dollars / GBP / Euros / Whatever... if you pay the shipping, you can have it to experiment on the frame, hang it on the wall or give it to your sweeheart for Christmas!!!

Any questions, let me know...

Register or login to remove these adverts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

where are you? I'll have it if in the UK :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:58 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party

Hi,

Sounds interesting!

Shipping from where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Interested too !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:27 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

20.5" is a big man size so I'll join the queue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:03 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

I can fix it, I'm a sucker for lost causes...pm sent.

cheers,

rody

Post subject: photos as requested
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:09 pm 
Old School Hero

Hey all - the frame is located in Geneva, Switzerland. Mr. Groovy Cycles was the first to send a PM, so I am placing him at the top of the list, as he is also a framebuilder and is going to try to repair it, which makes me happy.

Groovy: you have the first right of refusal - after that, I will work my way through the responses. Please let me know if you are not interested as well, as it will make this go faster.

I imagine that shipping to UK would be around 15-20GBP and about $40US to the USA. I will ship elsewhere of course - just give me your coordinates and I will find out the cost. As mentioned earlier, the 'buyer' must pay all shipping costs.

As you can see, from a distance, it is in great shape. The head tube top tube, down tube and seatstays are in excellent condition, so the damage was isolated to the chainstays, bottom of the seattube and therefore, the BB shell. There is residue from electricians tape on the drive side chainstay in one photo that looks weird, but not a big deal because the chainstay would be replaced anyways.

Could be a coffee shop bike for the winter - at least the water will drain out easily!!

CAN"T ADD PHOTOS AT THE MOMENT FOR SOME REASON - they are less than 256k, but will not upload! Send Email addresses if you want more photos and I will forward them to you as requested!! Sorry...