Possible SWAP - My GT Xizang for a road bike

BarneyRubble

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right then; I bought this Xizang from Radoslaw back in the winter as it was and still is my dream rigid MTB. Problem is that shortly after buying it, (I sold my Ellsworth to raise the funds) I slipped a disc in my lower back.  Subsequently I have only ridden the bike to the pub a couple of times and once off road. The problem is whilst it is the right size; the notoriously short GT top tube has proved to be super painful on my lower back. On the other hand the Kona that I have built as a commuter doesn’t affect me at all. So having created my perfect dream bike, I am faced with the all too real possibility that it is set to become an expensive ornament, or objet d’art! 

Pics of the GT here (I currently still have straight Kore bars for the purists): http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

Whilst I would love to hang on to it purely to look at, I don’t think I can justify the expenditure on a very shiny coat rack. So I’ve been thinking…..

Most of my riding is now done on the road, either commuting or pootling about with the wife as it seems to aggravate my back less. I have never owned a road bike, (although I did love riding my bosses GT ZR1000 when I worked in my LBS back in ‘99). What I am proposing is doing a swap with someone; my Xizang for their road bike. Now not being a road bike purist, I don’t want an expensive classic – I’d probably be happiest with something post 98, with STI, carbon forks and a 105 or higher groupset, ( If someone had a GT ZR1000 from 98/99/2000 that would be ideal! ;)

I don’t really want to do a straight swap as I would prefer to free up some cash – The Xizang is worth £1200 (as a complete bike – more like £1600 in bits), so I’d entertain a road bike up to around £600-£700 mark plus some cash.

By the way I am 6’3”, so would need a 60cm or larger, (56cm+ in GT as they come up big)!

I know it’s a long shot, but I thought I’d ask!

P.S I am not splitting the GT - if I can't swap for something suitable I'll keep it. ;)

Back