Sold Bontrager Race - first of the Cannery frames AND MEDIUM....

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Early Bontrager Race OR naked frame - virtually unused.
Metallic deep purple - almost black - gorgeous colour in my view.
15inch frame centre bb-centre tt - defined as a Bontrager ‘medium’
Only a few miles since originally bought from Santa Cruz - maybe 50.
Brought from the ‘States then put into store
Twin piece rear stays. Roller for front mech.
Flat plate horizontal dropouts. Open end to wishbone tube.
Original seat clamp.
Serial number 0020 - id’d as first batch from Cannery workshop in 1991.
Absolutely no dents, dings, or tube damage.
BB threads perfect.

Oh...low mileage comes from coveting it too much and just riding it on a few 'heritage' rides.....otherwise sat in the workshop being gawked at and generally loved....

Defects:
Small area of paint peeling from n/s rear dropout - common on almost all the contemporary frames from the Cannery, possibly they were not degreased properly prior to painting. Photo available.
Two areas of damage to decals, just a couple of very small tears. Photo available.

I’ve searched for pricing and had a few discussions.
£400 plus postage seems to be about right.
That’ll help a small bit (and only a small bit) with a new enduro frame for the Grom.

Text to 0770 250 5256 or dibs via PM?

Attachments

• C2437060-3A0F-416E-90C7-389C46219612.jpeg
    C2437060-3A0F-416E-90C7-389C46219612.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 1,406
Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

well....the Ti Marin has been purchased by someone who will put it to very good use (thanks Mojo), and this is still available to someone who wants a piece of hugely unmolested and original Bontrager history,,,,

Re:

I’m surprised this hasn’t sold! I can vouch for how cool these early frames are. I’ve had one for many years. Beautifully made and I can only describe as a road bike for the dirt. A true classic and just as good as any of the other US made boutique brands

Re: Bontrager Race - first of the Cannery frames

Have been riding one on/off since mid 90s. Brilliant , ultra fine frames...there’s been a recent Bonty thread curated by Sinnerman over in the bikes section , so maybe some of the enthusiasm for KB steel will spill over to here...GLWS

Re:

These earlier frames are indeed cool.. I'm just pleased that I already have one. The horizontal dropouts make them great for SS duty as well :D

Out of interest is the frame a Bontrager Medium, i.e 15" centre to centre and 17" centre to top? If so you might want to tweak your recommended height range slightly. These were designed to be a compact fit, I'm a shade under 6' and rode my Medium just fine - albeit with a longish seatpost! GLWTS

Re: Bontrager Race - first of the Cannery frames

Hmmm thanks mynchiboy, I think 15 centre to top I recall (it’s all boxed up in the barn at the moment) - I am 5-7 and it fitted well, but that was at the top end of what it could take - that came up slightly shorter n the TT than the quite long 15.5 Marin Ti Team which I had - so I reckon it was a small.

Yep SlimJ - I am surprised too...with COTIC frames going through the roof - up from 250 in 2019 to 450 now for a second hand SOUL - even a Gen1 - this looks a bit silly at 450, with its proven provenance and extreme low mileage. It’s basically an ex-display frame at the mileage it has....

Re:

Damn this is tempting but with lock down and no work, etc etc... :facepalm:
Can I ask for exact measurements, even if it takes a while, appreciate you have boxed it up and it's not easy...

Re:

Apologies LCW - didn't see you had posted.
I can delve into the workshop tomorrow and do some precise measurements....
Actually I might go out and get it now....

Back