1992 Raleigh Dynatech Diablo - 45 cm. (Updated).

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
So, for sale is a 1992 Raleigh Dynatech Diablo.

It is a 45 cm frame measured from the centre of the BB to the centre of the sloping seat post.

Now I know that we all like to think that what we have is rare and therefore worth more.

Personally, I think oddities make retro bikes more desirable which doesn't always equate to value but I may be wrong on this occasion.

This frame number begins SHOW. It was used by Raleigh reps at shows to publicise the new paint scheme.

Yes it's very rare and may even be unique for a Diablo from this era.

It has:

Campagnolo Acongagua 26" wheels with Shimano Alivio hubs that are like new.

7 Speed Shimano STX group set.

As far as authenticity goes, this was first built up as a bike for the first time at the end of 1994.
Long mudguards and a rear rack were added as the previous owner (the first) ageing years meant he used it as a small tourer. These have been removed but I still have them.

The stem, grips, tyres and saddle are not original. I don't profess to be an expert on these, but the rest looks standard to me including the original seat post, handlebars and bar ends. I have a rare and genuine period (NOS) Raleigh MTB seat that will come with it.

I want this to go to an enthusiast who will use it.

This week it has had:

Full genuine Raleigh full cable set (was NOS). Headset service and regreased. BB runs smooth with no issues.

New Shimano XT brake blocks front and rear.

Overall, it is in very good condition with no mechanical issues whatsoever.

I would prefer collection from the GL2 area of Gloucester but would be willing to post for an additional £35.

£245 collected would seal the deal.

All being well, photos hopefully tomorrow.

Re: 1992 Raleigh Dynatech Diablo - 45 cm.

I have a bit more information regarding the frame now I've cleaned the BB shell.

The frame number is: 5/U SHOW.

I have spoken to someone in the know who worked at Raleigh for many years at this time. The frame would have been manufactured in late 1991.

The paint scheme went through several designs until they thought it was the right one. Once they had the paint scheme they believed would sell, the frame was taken to shows
but could not be sold. My initial thoughts were, did that mean there were five of these and apparently the answer is no. Once one design was dismissed, the frame was destroyed (what a shame).

The final version was then taken to bike shows and put on display as frame and fork only.

If anyone out there has a different story, I'd love to hear it. My knowledge of Raleigh's of this period is not the best, I'm more of a late 70's early 80's man tbh.

The stem is a flexi touring stem by the way that has a map holder attached to it. I think it looks great but the purist will have their own ideas.

My apologies about the photos. They're terrible. I normally have a friend of the wife who is a photographer take them but she is unavailable at the moment and I am between shifts over the weekend. I will try to get some better ones done but I can't promise when.

Re: 1992 Raleigh Dynatech Diablo - 45 cm.

Photos. Once again my apologies for the poor quality of them.

Normally I would present the bike all nice and clean and polished but I'm not going to do that on this occasion.

This is it at its' worst so any potential buyer will want all that alone time to do all the things that I'd normally do.

Lucky them !

Attachments

• RSP 6.jpg
    RSP 6.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,251
  • RSP 5.jpg
    RSP 5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • RSP 4.jpg
    RSP 4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • RSP 3.jpg
    RSP 3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • RSP 2.jpg
    RSP 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • RSP 1.jpg
    RSP 1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,250
I know given their popularity on Fleabay that I could sell this for considerably more on there but I've already turned down one offer which was clearly someone who intended to sell it on for a profit, probably on there.

Given that the wheels are from a slightly later period, I would be willing to keep them and sell the rest for £195 collected. I think the frame is worth that on its' own.

Just adding my 2 cents as I have a few of these and also sold a few, I wouldn't judge ebay buy it now prices as a good gauge, some chancers stick them up for DAFT money, they don't ever sell. I have the same model/paintwork as yours in my collection, does it have any other stamping on its shell to help date it as the stamping looks unusual, however its its a demo/show model this maybe why - I would personally date it more 92-93 myself. ON first glance I thought it was a 700C touring Dyna from a quick glance but presume the wheelset is 26"? Final note, they didn't release any of the production models to best of my knowledge with the alloy brace popriveted to the chainstays, I assume this maybe an add-one to allow fitment of the full sized guards?

Attachments

• 20180823_171849_resized.jpg
    20180823_171849_resized.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,168
Hi.

You're right about eBay prices, very ambitious to say the least.

Short of removing the gear cable guide, I'm pretty sure these are the only numbers on the BB shell and I've been over it with a fine toothcomb.

Yes, it's 26" wheel.

With regards to the bracket, yes this was done at the factory. The previous owner worked for Raleigh.

It was very interesting listening to how this paint technique was developed and applied to the tubes.

If I can get my new phone to take some decent pictures and then work out how to get them on here, I'll post some better piccies tomorrow.

Back