Some top drawer parts and a Roberts frame for free...

gibbon_rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here are a a collection of beautiful parts, and a frame to hang them on. If you want.

This is a bit of an odd one. Not strictly retro, not even strictly MTB, but it has retro MTB DNA, and so I think this is the most appropriate forum for it.

About 10 years ago I asked Chas Roberts to make me a Dogs Bolx. He asked what I would use it for, and I said for my daily commute, and he said “nevermind the bolx, here’s a speed weapon”.

I specified that it had to take all my old school MTB parts on it, so it takes 26” wheels, rim brakes, etc. etc.

It is a large bike. I’m 6”1, it fits perfectly and rides beautifully. I’m only selling it as I’m switching to disc brakes (for wet weather commuting), and it would require too much work to make it economical for this frame.

It has a 23.5” top tube, and a 20” seat tube, so it’s not as big as the wheels make it look in the photos!

Pictures are all at the following: link

It has been ridden through all weathers for many years, and as it’s steel, some of the chips are showing signs of rust. The seat tube is also showing internal signs of rust, but I’ve no way of knowing if this is superficial or something more worrying. I have included close up photos of all the issues, which may or may not actually be issues. To be on the safe side, I would consider the frame to be the icing on the cake if you were to buy it as a package.

In terms of parts, it has:

Royce titanium bottom bracket One of the cups has been butchered by a mechanic who didn’t have a proper Royce fitting tool, which I've included a photo of. Bearings need serviced.

Chris King headset. Still smooth.

Ringle Zooka stem. In great condition.

Pauls Canti-levers. In great condition.

Pauls Moto-lites. In great condition.

USE alien seat post and bars. In great condition.

White Industries Eno rear hub (ENO rear allows single speed without having track drop outs or messing with half links). Still amazingly smooth, but not cleaned as I was going to keep them for myself. I can't tell you how much I love the White Industries stuff and how well it has lasted.

White Industries DOS freewheel. Allows two speeds when used with Eno. Again, an incredibly well made piece of kit.

Rims are towards the end of their lives, and so will need replacing sooner rather than later.
It has been described by more than one mechanic as one of the nicest bikes they’ve ever worked on.

Difficult to know what to ask for it. No expense was spared on the parts, and they are obviously top notch, but the frame won’t fit everyone, and it needs a respray at least.

Let’s say £400 collected from South West or Central London. Postage at cost if I can find a bike box…

Don’t really want to split at this point, but if there’s something you really want, feel free to make me an offer and I’ll think about it.

Any questions or additional photos you'd like, just let me know.

Cheers!

Re:

I can't help but keep looking at this! But sadly I know it will definitely be too big :(

I am interested in the ENO wheelset and possibly the Pauls brakeset though. I'll shoot over a PM in a moment..

Re:

Pretty sure I saw you on this going through Stockwell a few years ago? Cool bike, it’s like a modern version of the bike featured in MBi back in the day.

Re:

That was definitely me!

Next time say Hi as I'm always happy for a retro bike chat...

I've now got myself a modern Talbot Frameworks road bike (sorry :oops: ) but it does make the commute faster and safer in the wet - not quite as enjoyable though. The Roberts really was lovely.

Re:

Cool Roberts. Must have been an awesome commuter.

No shame replacing it with a bike from Talbot. Those are things of beauty :cool:

Back