Marin Bear Valley 1989 x 2 - His & Hers? - 100% Original

yettsoman

Retro Newbie
I bought the bigger Bear Valley for my 30th birthday in 1989. My wife liked it so much she bought one too! A friend of mine owned a windsurfing/mountain-biking shop at the time, and we got them at trade price - £319 each, which was a LOT to me then. I still have the original receipts for the bikes.

We're now in our mid-fifties and have decided our mountain-biking days are over (no comments please, it's our decision), and I am offering them here on the forum for sale. I'd like to sell them to retro bike enthusiasts who would hopefully keep them in as original spec as possible.

The bikes are both 1989 Marin Bear Valley Black models, the first year of the sloping top-tube. The official frame sizes are 19" BBC to STT (17.5" BBC to TTC) and 17" BBC to STT (15.5" BBC to TTC). The smaller bike has a rear U-brake as there is insufficient clearance for a conventionally-mounted cantilever. Marin did four frame sizes that year - these are the smallest and next to smallest sizes. If it's a help I'm 5'11" with a 32" leg, and my wife is 5'4" with a 30" leg. The saddles and bars are set as we like in the pics.

The serial numbers are -
bigger bike - M902 52081
smaller bike - M902 52018

- oddly the serial numbers are almost identical!

The bikes numbers don't fit with the thread about Marin serial numbers, but I can assure you these are 1989 models. They were purchased in June 1989, and the 1989 advert I've attached below shows the same bike. Unless they were supplied via Dr. Who in the Tardis, there is no way they are 1990 bikes, as suggested by the thread.

They are both 100% original, exactly as they left the factory, with the tiny exception that my wife had to replace the chain on hers, when the original broke. Yes, they do both have their original Marin RockStar tyres on black Araya rims, and Biopace HP chainwheels - I appreciate a few things MIGHT have to be renewed for different reasons!!! The gearset and shifters are Mountain LX, the brake levers are Exage. The pics of the smaller bike show it fitted with a "comfy" saddle - the original saddle is sitting on the plastic tub. One of the foam grips on the bigger bike is damaged at the end.

Both bikes are totally straight and have never had any shunts. Although they were lightly used, there are of course scratches here and there, and most chrome fasteners are rust-tarnished. There are some superficial rust spots on both bikes at the common wear areas, but nothing of any concern. I'm pretty sure you will never find another pair of 1989 Bear Valleys in such original spec and reasonable condition.

The bikes are in Central Scotland and I would obviously prefer if they were collected. I MAY be up for having my arm twisted and send the bikes, at additional cost. If you would like more details and pictures, please PM me and I'll happily do this for you.

The bikes are £200.

Attachments

• DSC_0154.JPG
    DSC_0154.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,725
  • DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,723
  • DSC_0156.JPG
    DSC_0156.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,721
  • DSC_0157.JPG
    DSC_0157.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,723
  • bear valley ad.jpg
    bear valley ad.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,726
I've found out this evening that I'm to be away with work until at least Sunday night, but probably Monday morning. It's likely I won't have internet access until I return home.

If you are interested at all please PM/email anyway, and I'll reply at my soonest opportunity.

Re:

BUMP from a two year old post!

When I posted these in 2014 there was a family reason why I never took it any further. My apologies to the forum members I didn't reply to at the time.

Well, I still have both the bikes and they're still 100% original. They're for sale again and for clarity from the original post they're £200 each. I appreciate that's not pocket change but for two one-owner 27 year old matching original Marins I don't think that's expensive either.

If you agree and are interested in either or both bikes please get in touch. I'd prefer to sell them together if possible. I'd also prefer if they could be collected. I live near Kinross in Scotland.

Thanks

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. FAB to still be getting replies to 3-year-old ad! Yes, I do still have the 17" bike (and also the 19" bike). They're still in the shed.

Remember Marin sizes were weird when they first introduced the sloping tube though. As far as I recall you took 1.5" off the "official" size to get the "actual" size?? So the 19" is really a 17.5" and the 17" is really a 15.5". The smaller bike is really quite small - the wheels are a good pointer to the actual frame size. As I said in the original ad I'm 5'11" with 32" inside leg and I had the bigger bike. My wife is 5'4" with 30" leg and hers was the wee bike.

You're very welcome to come have a look at both if that's handy for you. I live near Kinross.

Cheers
G

Re:

I think I've PM'd you back but not sure if it's gone for some reason??
If it doesn't reach you the answer was "no" basically...sorry
Cheers
G

Re:

Hello Chap,

Are those bear valleys still going. Interested in the 19" . Long story but I've been looking for one as a present for my best mate for years .

Kieron

Latest posts

Back