Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:05 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 171  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I've just been up into the loft and found my old Kenwood mini/midi hi fi system..

UD-301/351 from 1991... all in their original boxes... 8)

And some old technics speakers as well.

If someone can give me a rough valuation I'll offer them both up for sale..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:03 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Hmmm, £30 perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm 

Yeah I was guessing something 30quid.

The kenwood's complete with its original speakers, these are the technics I have as well...

Probably worth blither-all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Yep, about right. That sort of stuff just doesn't seem to sell anymore on eBay. There's two camps. 'Proper' (read expensive) hifi, or the ipod and dock combo. People don't seem to want anything in between.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

...and if the CD player doesnt work (which they often dont), its garage/ mancave fodder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 pm 

CD and 6 changer works perfectly, as do the tape decks but ive forgotten what even goes in them, now...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 am 
Retro Guru

I'm enjoying the ubergeekery of this thread, even though I understand about 5% of it :)

Anyway. I have a need for an amp for my office. Doesn't have to be very special since I'm playing MP3s off a PC. So anything considered -- my main priority is cheapness, to go with the Wharfedale Diamond IV speakers I paid 99p for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 am 
Retro Guru

Try a tripath type off eBay? Small, cheap and plenty good enough for mp3's in the office. More geekyness up shortly :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 am 
Retro Guru

Thought I'd start on the 405 power amp tonight. Case apart for access to the main smoothing caps...

Old caps out - yes, they're a bit swollen (ooer missus!) and probably pretty dried up. My capacitance meter doesn't have a range anything like high enough so I don't know for sure, but being 30+ years old, they'll be WELL past their best!

Sexy new low ESR capsgoing in. These were an absolute bargain 'lab clearance' buy. £30 odd for 6 of them! Normally you'd pay more than that for ONE cap of this spec!

Need to do a fair bit of rewiring, so figured I'd fit decent speaker posts while I'm at it. Will remove the originals and fit decent RCS phonos in addition to the DIN. The smaller caps on the amp boards look a bit knackered too so I'll replace them. May well do my usual 'hand matched' resistor replacements while I'm at it also.

So there we are. Up to date. Just testing the new op-amps in the phono card. Need an arm rewire though, the botched one I did a bit back with arm cables which were too short is a bit flaky...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 am 
Retro Guru

apache wrote:
Try a tripath type off eBay? Small, cheap and plenty good enough for mp3's in the office. More geekyness up shortly :mrgreen:

Interesting. I'd looked at those and sort of assumed they'd be junk just based on them being cheap. But I know pretty much nothing. Is there likely to be any discernible difference between a £30 one and a £15 one, beyond the more expensive ones being more pleasingly minimalist? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 171  Next