Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules


**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts**



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 171  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
Just won these on the bay - Albarry M408 Monoblock Power Amplifiers

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:33 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26169
Location: Moomin Valley
Cool!

Just got this lot from the tip...

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:40 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
Good find.

All i need now is a pre-amp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 958
Location: Malvern
Christ! What kind of people use your tips?! :shock:

Tintin, if your source is CD, just feed the O/P of your CD player into the amps via a volume pot in a box. No pre-amp and unnecessary circuitry. Be a bit careful though cos those Albarry's have a history of HF instability.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
apache wrote:
Christ! What kind of people use your tips?! :shock:

Tintin, if your source is CD, just feed the O/P of your CD player into the amps via a volume pot in a box. No pre-amp and unnecessary circuitry. Be a bit careful though cos those Albarry's have a history of HF instability.


Now your talking tech. What does that mean in simple talk please :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:31 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 958
Location: Malvern
Basically, the level from your CD player is plenty to drive your amps without a pre-amp. In fact, generally the only source that wont be fine is a record deck.

In the case of line level sources (CD, tape, tuner etc) a pre-amp just adds extra complexity for no good reason - unless you really need tone controls etc.

All you need is a volume control (a potentiometer) and some switches - if you need to use more than one source.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
apache wrote:
Basically, the level from your CD player is plenty to drive your amps without a pre-amp. In fact, generally the only source that wont be fine is a record deck.

In the case of line level sources (CD, tape, tuner etc) a pre-amp just adds extra complexity for no good reason - unless you really need tone controls etc.

All you need is a volume control (a potentiometer) and some switches - if you need to use more than one source.


I understood half of what you wrote. But if you have seen my handy work on bikes. Best buy a pre-amp or a CD player with the imputs like a Meridian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:44 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26169
Location: Moomin Valley
If you have a headphone socket on your CD player, you can use a lead to the inputs of your Albarry's and use the CD player as the volume control

Image

You would have to switch the CD on first, then the amps to reduce any loud pops and bangs potentially damaging your speakers.

A Pre-amplifier would be better. A Pre-amp is simply the input and volume control part of an 'integrated amplifier', theres no connections for speakers - your Albarry's would then be the amplifier part with the speaker connections.

CD-Albarrys-Speakers

or

CD-Pre-Amplifier-Abarry's-Speakers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
:D all clear now. I have a headphone socket but no volume control ! on the cd.

This gives me a good reason to buy more hifi. New pre-amps are expensive? Looking at £700+?

Many Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26169
Location: Moomin Valley
tintin40 wrote:
:D all clear now. I have a headphone socket but no volume control ! on the cd.

This gives me a good reason to buy more hifi. New pre-amps are expensive? Looking at £700+?

Many Thanks


a 'good' pre-amp could be as little as £50.

A bit of fun:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toshiba-SY-33 ... 1e6fc16935

Good value

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotel-RC-971- ... 757wt_1396

Quality and may go under the radar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-mclaren-p ... 500wt_1413


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 171  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group