Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 171  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

tintin40 wrote:
How much better are new CD players compared to the vintage models? I was in my local hi-fi shop and saw a nice Marantz player for £310. I can buy a once top of the range MicroMega or Meridian 200 series on the bay for that money which cost £1000+ BITD

Side by side, older still seems better. Personally, 'new' just doesnt sound right until £1000 plus.

Merdian 200 series is very fragile these days and difficult to get repaired, kit would have to be a cosseted minter to be worthwhile. Dont overlook very high end Sony/ Akai/ Marantz/ Technics/ Kenwood players from the 1980's either (rosewood cheeks are a giveaway for the high quality stuff). They can be very nice to listen to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:46 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

legrandefromage wrote:
Side by side, older still seems better. Personally, 'new' just doesnt sound right until £1000 plus.

Merdian 200 series is very fragile these days and difficult to get repaired, kit would have to be a cosseted minter to be worthwhile. Dont overlook very high end Sony/ Akai/ Marantz/ Technics/ Kenwood players from the 1980's either (rosewood cheeks are a giveaway for the high quality stuff). They can be very nice to listen to!

Thanks. Will keep a close eye on the bay when ready. Shame about the Merdian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:21 pm 
Retro Guru

Get yourself a Marantz CD53 or 63 off ebay and send it to me for mods which transform it into something really very very good indeed!

We've now bought a new house, so when the move is all over and we're settled I'll need more to do - happy to do it for parts cost + a night out's worth of beer money :) You're probably looking at less than £100 all in if you shop carefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APOGEE-DUETTA ... 926wt_1348

I do wonder some times about e-bay sellers :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Sorry to drag the conversation back to retro car stereo's, but reading the thread i've noticed there's some interest in particular old ones now.
So i chanced my arm, well 4 quid :D , at the local boot sale recently and picked this up!.
Was it money well spent?, it looks unused and came with all the wires and instructions. But i never was into ICE when i was young, too poor, so i've got no idea if it's high end enough to be of interest to anyone.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on it. Cheers Matt

Attachments:
stereo 1.JPG
stereo 1.JPG [ 48.65 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Looks in excellent condition. Does it work?? If so then £4 well spent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

hi guys and gals

i just picked up a nice retro amplifier a ROTEL RA 1212
any thoughts and does anyone here have one
its very punchy indeed and weighty works perfectly

i also got some speakers from the same guy
some MONITOR AUDIO RUBY FLOORSTANDERS
they are pretty rare speakers acording to monitor audio email
theres not even hardly any info on google about them

any hifi buffs know anything cheers dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Lets talk tonearms.

At one point I was messing about with turntables, as I was given a really nice working Connoisseur. I designed and had cut a plinth and then started to collect a few tonearms which I dug out yesterday.

I couldnt remember what they were, but anticipating my lack of memory, I had helpfully supplied myself with a list:

Mayware Formula 4
Linn Basik Plus
Systemdek Profile
Audiocraft / Ultracraft Unipivot.

None of them earth shattering, but competent enough.

The experiment ground to a halt when I lost most of the hearing in my right ear and really didn't need HI-FI set ups in almost every room in the house :roll:

So, what do you have on shelves and in boxes, just waiting for the right turntable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:00 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Hi all,just thought I would show you my speakers I picked up last year.Ive always had big speakers,but we moved and I decided to go for a more minimal look.So the big 80s eltax's went in favour of some Bi-wire missions which had been my rear speakers for some time.Sadly they were never the same,just no depth.
On a walk round our business estate one lunch time,I spot the back of these nice size speaker laid face down in back of a car.I had no idea what they were but I thought mmmm I can use those cabinets.So I found out who's car it was and asked if I could buy them.I was told I didnt want them as one of the cones had dropped to bits and they were off to the tip.So after a bit of a chat I picked them up on the way home,I still hadn't seen them.I was nicely pleased with what I found.So a quick clean,new cloth and a bit of paint and hey presto,descent audio reproduction again.Not bad I think.£12.00 total project cost(and burnt finger using glue gun on cloth).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

One or two other things Ive picked up. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 171  Next