Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules


**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts**



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 171  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6842
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
Can I butt in with a question about my Meridian 506 CD player?


I'll assume that's a 'yes Neil, please do.'

It will no longer see the CD when inserted. This started as an occasional / intermittent fault (the worst kind), then became a bit more stubborn and finally it just will not play. In between the intermittent bouts, it would play perfectly.

I have done some reading and pulled the transport to bits, but the gummed up grease that most on-line advisers talk about was not there, everything is fine. It is also possible to watch the transport 'kick' the platter when you power the player up, but when a CD is inserted it does nothing.

Terminal or repairable?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26158
Location: Moomin Valley
NeilM wrote:
Can I butt in with a question about my Meridian 506 CD player?


I'll assume that's a 'yes Neil, please do.'

It will no longer see the CD when inserted. This started as an occasional / intermittent fault (the worst kind), then became a bit more stubborn and finally it just will not play. In between the intermittent bouts, it would play perfectly.

I have done some reading and pulled the transport to bits, but the gummed up grease that most on-line advisers talk about was not there, everything is fine. It is also possible to watch the transport 'kick' the platter when you power the player up, but when a CD is inserted it does nothing.

Terminal or repairable?


There are quite a few models of the 506, the first one had the Phillips CDM1 or CDM Pro mechanism (I cant remember which) - these were very quickly replaced with a CD-ROM based (CDM-12?)mechanism. Later models may be repairable but the early models are very difficult to find spares for.

You may be able to turn up the laser via a circuit board preset but I was told this shortens the life of the mech. The presets are often labled 'gain' 'focus' etc, etc. Its been a while since I had a 506 so I cant remember what is what.

some web stuff

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6842
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
Thanks.

I'll have to pull it to bits again, but from recollection I would say it has the CDM 12.

Is it likely that the laser is just tired out then? If so, I may do some hunting, otherwise it can go in its box in the loft next to my Yamaha that I bought about 20 yards ago and which eventually skipped more than a bunch of 8 year old girls in a playground.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 958
Location: Malvern
This would suggest the CDM12 mech too.

Image

There's often mechs of all kinds on eBay for sometimes reasonable money - in fact, just had a browse and there's loads starting from around a tenner. Worth a punt!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:53 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6842
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
apache wrote:
This would suggest the CDM12 mech too.

Image

There's often mechs of all kinds on eBay for sometimes reasonable money - in fact, just had a browse and there's loads starting from around a tenner. Worth a punt!


YUP! That's the kiddie.

Cool.

Off to ebay to see what I can find, thanks guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:02 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
What year is my cd player?
I can't find the year any where


Last edited by tintin40 on Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 958
Location: Malvern
I cant find your CD player either.

Where is it?

Ah, there it is!

No idea for sure, but I'd guess at early 90's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
I have a full size Sony CD player as well. But when i listen through headphones direct it sounds terrible. Will it improve if i fit a amp and listen via the amp's headphone socket?

The Technic's player is miles better via headphones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:45 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 958
Location: Malvern
Hard to say really. Many separate's headphone output is nothing more than a monitor output and can sound rubbish as they can be very low powered.

If you don't have an amp to try it through, you've now way of knowing whether it sounds terrible because of a fault though. Can you not borrow an amp and speakers to try it first?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:27 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
apache wrote:
Hard to say really. Many separate's headphone output is nothing more than a monitor output and can sound rubbish as they can be very low powered.

If you don't have an amp to try it through, you've now way of knowing whether it sounds terrible because of a fault though. Can you not borrow an amp and speakers to try it first?


Non to borrow. Have been looking on ebay for good low cost amp. About time i bought a decent separates hi-fi. Then i can buy more CD's as only have one at the moment :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 171  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jonnugget69 and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group