Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 171  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 am 
Old School Grand Master

what the best way to stop a cd player from skipping ? i have noticed, with my rotel if it gets moved, it takes a day or two to settle down for some reason ???..........is it just dirty lense or tracking ? if so best way to clean it all please ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Laser could be weak if its old. Transport could be a bit gunked up. Either way, probably not straightforward if not versed in the art of fiddling.

Try a lens clean first though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

cleaned lense.....seem better so far, while i wa at it i secured my clock and put a gromit round it........it seems a bit more focused and the flow of the music a bit better or i could be imagining it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

oh after cleaning, it reads discs quicker, that's a good sign.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:08 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Perhaps someone here can help......

I have an Onkyo micro cd/DAB system which my kids have somehow managed to fit two cd's in (thought it was a multiplayer I guess!). I've removed the cover and the offending cd's but now when I put a cd in I just get the 'no disc' message. Could this possibly be an easy fix or is it more than likely a write off?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 pm 
Retro Guru

Doesn't sound good to be honest. Could be the transport is damaged so the laser isn't moving to the correct part of the disc, could be the lens has been damaged by forcing CDs in... I'd open it up and see if you can see anything obvious snapped / bent etc, try moving the transport etc.

You were lucky, my old VHS player stopped working due to two fish fingers and a lego man!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 pm 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider

Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

apache wrote:
OK, been running this for a few days now. All is well, and it sounds rather spiffing!

Marantz CD48, cosmetically near perfect, with original remote control. Several sensible mods to improve sound quality, details of which can be found here... viewtopic.php?f=66&t=246353&start=15

Looking for £65 posted

If you are not 100% in agreement that this is now a seriously good CD player, send it back (at your cost) and I'll refund you. Can't say fairer than that.

As the proud owner of this rather amazing machine I have to give an update of how it has performed so far. To say that it is a revelation is an understatement! I have been listening again to my old cd's and the player really shows up the good and bad production of the disc's. I absolutely love it and if you get a chance to get a modded bit of kit from apache then do not hesitate.

Question for those in the know but what would be a good upgrade on the speaker front, fancy a floor standing set up and these bad boys seem like good value but open to suggestions.....

http://www.richersounds.com/product/flo ... -v4-dk-oak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 am 
Retro Guru

Nice to hear you're enjoying it!

For speakers, I'd be trawling eBay for older classics. Some seriously good bargains to be had if you search close to your location and go and pick up. Personally, I'd be looking for 80's B&W, Mission, Celestion etc. I've no idea what the Richer Sounds jobs are like, but (generalising) I find most modern speakers a bit lightweight in their presentation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 pm 

Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
GASH - you have PM ya scunner :wink:

Mordaunt Short or Mission and I'll be driving through Glasgow next week :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 171  Next