Wanted...1970s / 80s Car radio/cassette

I have about 150 'period' radio cassettes

Whats ya poison? Whaddaya wanna spend?

What car too?

Theres a big jump from the quality of 1970's stuff to early 1980's. Tell me what you want spec wise and I'll see what I can do.

Re:

Got a Becker Mexico, Mr?
I have £50 and some ripe belly button fluff. :p

The car is a 1976 Alfa Romeo GT Junior.
Ideally a Mexico would be nice but probably way out of my range.
Have found A 1981 Becker Europa radio cassette for £150, so that sort of price +/-
Early 80s wouldn't be so bad as it would have been a reasonable upgrade done at the time.
Just a stereo radio is a possibilty, and can be connected to a modern music gadget.
Other possibles are Blaupunkt, um , er, Nakamichi?
What else was good back in the day?
And what speakers am I looking for? Even if you don't have them , I'd respect your advice.
Ta.

Ooof...

Looking at the interior, I have a 1978 Pioneer KP-9000 that would suit very well. It has a head unit with AM/FM stereo with a cassette and then it has a separate power amplifier

Similar to this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Now, there are various ways of playing your own music through one of these, some simple, some requiring soldering work.

1: FM transmitter - cheap, cheerful but poor sound quality and prone to interference

2: MP3 Cassette adapter - see above

3: Cassette MP3 PLAYER - one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DIY-Casse ... SwgZ1XqY56

A lot of fun and actually sound pretty good - takes SD cards up its slot.

4: Cassette BLUETOOTH adapter - expensive but not a bad idea streaming from a phone http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ION-Audio-Blu ... SwRgJXiQxe

5: Aux input wired to the on/off switch/ volume control - needs work and a few resistors/ diodes to do correctly, you can then hide the socket in the car somewhere.

6: Totally shooting myself in the foot - just buy one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caliber-RMD12 ... SwgQ9Vp227

much MUCH better idea!

As for speakers, use modern ones with old grills to cover them. I have loads of older style Pioneer 16.5cm/ 6.5 inch ones which is a common size.

Hope this helps!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks Mr Cheese.
One of the cassette gadgets seem to be the way to go.
I think I'm going to stay European for the radio. I don't think there would be much Japanese stuff fitted to Italian cars back then.
Do you know the Blaupunkt heirachy per chance?

Did anyone like Grundig or Phillips make decent stuff?

You'll be surprised at what was fitted. A good Pioneer cost close to £1k. They were in all the Astons and Ferrari of the day.

The problem is that there wasnt much quality in the 1970's radio equipment. That didnt come until The Japanese started making very desirable stuff.

Heres a Fujitsu in the Lagonda

Aston-Martin-Lagonda-Blick-auf-Cockpit-von-aussen,medium_large.1404388598.jpg

About £450 second hands worth of what looks to be Blaupunkt New York and BE60 equaliser

lagonda_interior.jpg

In the Alfas, all I can find is modern or not period correct later plastic nastyness. A few seem to have Motorola fitted if anything at all.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back