Wanted Two person cycle touring tent for one man use.

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, I need a larger tent as my wild country micro thingy is for a younger man, as i discovered at mayhem a couple of years ago. Quuite fancy a vango pulsar 200. Has good reviews and appears to be a fair compromise between size, cost and weight.

Was putting this up in case anybody can offer anything that would be suitable. For carrying in panniers on a short solo trip. Would prefer external poles or fly first pitching.

thanks THM

I've got a vango banshee 200 which is pretty good and a kg lighter. Has plenty of space for me and panniers inside the tent and more room in the porch. I'm 5'8" and my head hits the ceiling sitting upright, but this isn't as annoying as it sounds for some reason. What's really good about it is that after you pitch it the first time you can take it down and pitch again both inner and outer together really quickly. That pulsar seems a little overkill to be honest, there is as much porch space again as the sleeping area, which is already big. I would advise a smaller 2 man tent to save weight, still leaving you with plenty of room.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little on the large side and don't travel light. Pulsar is a bit big but could live with it. Also looking at vaude Taurus ultralight and various other vango ones. Want more porch than banshee though.

Yes the porch isn't great on the banshee. Maybe the tempest 200 would be a better model if you went vango, although that is approaching the weight of the pulsar.

Compromise for space and weight could be a Mirage 200. Had a few Vangos and trust the quality. Do like the Vaudes though but far more expensive.

Re:

Honestly?

If you're only going for a shortish trip in nice weather, you could do worse than one of those awful Tesco 2-man things. Being single-skin it's lightweight, and the chances of it failing on the first couple of nights are pretty slim. If you decide cycle touring isn't for you you've only lost a tenner.

Just bought a 2 man coleman Darwin for £30 new in millets online sale. 2.8 kg with good reviews. Cheap as chips. I do believe I have all I need.

Back