WTD: DSLR for a beginner

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've recently sold my compact digital camera (Lumix TZ:cool: and I now want to progress to a DSLR. I have a pretty tiny budget (when you consider how much some DSLR's cost) of about £200 maximum.

I'm after something along the lines of a Sony Alpha A200 or similar spec-wise. Needs to have at least one lens, and needs to be complete with battery/sd card/charger etc.

There seem to be plenty of A200s about for £200 or less, but I wanted to see what else was out there, if anything.

Thanks in advance :)

i manged to pick up a lumix g2 on ebay for just over that, i dont know much about cameras but as a first camera im well chuffed with it

i got a nikon d40 for about that, ok its only 6.1 megapixels, but the sensor is so much bigger that it can still take great pictures even when blown up to i think a3 size...off the top of my head.

Plus its a proper dslr, which means all the fancy lenses!

lumos2000":1pl5vku3 said:
i manged to pick up a lumix g2 on ebay for just over that, i dont know much about cameras but as a first camera im well chuffed with it

I'm quite liking the look of the G2 and it seems to have received some good reviews too. The one thing which confuses the hell out of me is the lenses though... How do you find the standard lens when it comes to zooming? How does it compare to the optical zoom on a compact camera? Do you get more or less zoom with it?

ive never really used a compact much, my g2 cam with a 14-42 lens which is fine for me, im not the right person to ask really as i relly am just starting out.
i did have a look at one in a local shop befour buying. its size and weight attracted me most, not big and bulkey like the others but it still has the view finder unlike the smaller compact type. the flip out screen is really usefull to. it uses micro 4/3 fitting for the lens so probaly woth having a look to see whats avaliable. im looking for a macro lens at the moment, if you like i can take some sample shots and send to your email

I just got rid of my G2 and traded it in for a Canon EOS 1000D (which was only £275) and love it.
The Lumix had to go as the pictures weren't that great and the micro 4/3rds system they use is limiting for lenses as its new technology, Canon are great value used and lenses are readily available and loads cheaper!

Buy a real Canon DSLR, EOS 400/450/500D, at the older low end they have the upper hand on Nikon. (D40 autofocus only with new AF-S glass)

It is all in the lenses, consider longevity and upgrading, the only way to go is Canon or Nikon because eBay is full of good, cheap lenses.

You will lose zoom for sure, big lens small zoom but it is a DSLR...trying to explain to people my 'pervert' lens actually has less zoom than their compact is annoying! :shock:

I've gone over six years with my EOS 350D just by getting new lenses, each time it is like getting a new camera! and when I do get a new camera, they will all still work unlike some of the micro cams.

I picked up a Canon 300D on ebay about 18 months ago - the reasoning being that if I liked it I might upgrade...
Used it with a 75-300mm zoom on a trip to a game reserve in South Africa - the quality of the pics was SUPERB!
Pics profeesionally printed at A4 size are just pin sharp!

It cost me £100 or so for the 300D body.

***Edit - not a 300D - it's a 350D Digital Rebel

Can't go wrong with something like a Nikon D70s, they're cheap to buy, lenses are plentiful and can be had fairly cheaply and you can produce some awesome results. The bonus is that if you like it you can then upgrade the body to a newer/posher Nikon body over time and any lenses you've invested in will work with the new body.

Thanks for all of the help and advice so far :)

I'm definitely now swayed towards getting a 'proper' DSLR as opposed to a 4/3.

Back