WANTED LEFT HAND ELECTRIC (sorted)

If you can't play yet I would recommend a right hander - I put my lefty kids on one and they are fine - Mark Knoppfler got by ok that way too.

no sorry i'm a lefty and always will be :D i can tie knots right handed but anything artistic i think is very wrong to change your hands and brains over ! plenty of L hand stuff out there now, bout time too............weeeez different you know :cool:

greenstiles":3v43b7d1 said:
no sorry i'm a lefty and always will be :D i can tie knots right handed but anything artistic i think is very wrong to change your hands and brains over ! plenty of L hand stuff out there now, bout time too............weeeez different you know :cool:

But you aren't, with guitars both hands are doing fairly complicated/precise movements so it doesn't really matter unless you have already started out one way.
I switched my son over after 6 months of lessons (on the advice of several musicians) took him less than a month to get back up to the same level and the choice of guitars is so much wider and in most cases less expensive.

very interesting reading as my lad (6yrs) is about to start and I was on the point of getting a left handed guitar when the music school he is at (learning keyboard) suggested he should learn on a right handed one.

Where does that leave Jimi Hendrix (albeit upside r-handed one) and Paul McCartney though?

My daughter has just started too, straight onto a right handed one without any issues, I'd recommend it, it makes no difference to them at that age. You don't get left handed keyboards :)

I tried upside down stringing a right handed accoustic for my son at first but the tuning and intonation goes out very very quickly even with a reshaped nut, upside down electric is easier as you can reset the bridge to suit.

I'm r-handed and I'm just trying to imgaine learning guitar left handed - I couldn't do it - it would feel all wrong. is this not the case at a younger age? Seb is very left handed if you see what I mean (all numbers get written backwards etc).

Left and right handed kids write backwards (at least my 5 year old righty does) it means nothing at that age.

Handedness for single handed tasks is important but less so when both hands are used as both hands have tasks to deal with, in guitar there is a similar amount of precision needed by both hands so if you start out that way it really makes no difference, I took a risk switching my son half way though a year of lessons, but he was fine. My daughter has just started and has no problems I can see during practice.

Also when learning guitar you have to learn your chords "reversed" or have someone re-transcribe them all for you.
Although I didn't know this book exsisted when he started...
http://www.lefthandedguitars.co.uk/Guit ... -p212.html

I always think that the left/right handed guitar playing is kind of the wrong way round anyway. If you're right handed your left hand is doing the more complicated stuff and vice versa. Whats the scientific reason for why a right handed plays the guitar the way they do?

Back