Item Obtained, Thanks.

blacktights

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I am looking for a PCI graphics card , with at least 32mb of memory.

Not looking for a PCI Express or AGP Card

This is for an older PC , that only has 1 spare PCI slot.

Evidently windows 7 needs at least 8mb of graphics memory to run directx 10

I arent looking to pay daft money for these as it's all very much experiemntal, thanks.

Massive collection of movies, software, music, always looking for local swap mates. Cheers, all the best.

...and if that doesn't come off I might be able to find you one - PM me and I can have a dig around.

pci

Thanks very much, much appreciated. I am basically just looking for a pci graphics card, the better, the better, so so speak. It needs to be one for an old pc, the type that has to ' two mssing slots' in the part of the card thats inserted into the mainboard. If you have anything, then by all means, I would appreciate it, photos would be even better,though I realise its a lot of bother to go to, but thanks, cheers. ed.

Re: pci

blacktights":1oqvnh9s said:
Thanks very much, much appreciated. I am basically just looking for a pci graphics card, the better, the better, so so speak. It needs to be one for an old pc, the type that has to ' two mssing slots' in the part of the card thats inserted into the mainboard. If you have anything, then by all means, I would appreciate it, photos would be even better,though I realise its a lot of bother to go to, but thanks, cheers. ed.

I hope these arent your legs BTW

15913966724bf7b38dca717.jpg

Re: WANTED - PCI Graphics Card - Leeds - Yorkshire

blacktights":35tsc9ho said:
I am looking for a PCI graphics card , with at least 32mb of memory.

Not looking for a PCI Express or AGP Card

This is for an older PC , that only has 1 spare PCI slot.

I arent looking to pay daft money for these as it's all very much experiemntal, thanks.

Massive collection of movies, software, music, always looking for local swap mates. Cheers, all the best.

whats the experiment then

no worries

It's a photo.

Experiment is that because the mainboard has integrated graphics, it's impossible to tell if by installing a graphics card will permit the onboard graphics to be switched off, a lot of pc's labelled 'emachines' had onboard video and it was a problem to disable the onboard graphics, hope that explains. cheers.

Any machine with on board graphics will run a secondary card be it PCI, PCI-E or AGP turning off the on board depends on BIOS in most cases the onboard remains active and allows you on older machines to run 2 monitors and on E-Machines the E stands for EVIL :twisted:

Re: WANTED - PCI Graphics Card - Leeds - Yorkshire

blacktights":274h3p98 said:

I believe it needs a Direct X10 graphics card to run Direct X10, it has nothing to do with the memory.
From memory it needs to be a DirextX9 capable card and also have a WDDM driver for it (more than likely the standard VGA will run it)

If you're lucky you can get the GeForce 8400 or 6xxx/7xxx in PCI format. Not sure on the ATI side or other manufacturers cards that will work.

The GeForce 5xxx series while it will work is not so great and iirc needs a bodge to get Aero to work.

Thanks for the input there, much appreciated. I can't really say whether its memory onboard or the GPU or not, I can only really go on what I have read about this particular PC.

Indeed, obviously any pc can accept and utilise an independant GPU,but there comes a point of diminishing returns and the amount of effort and research required that limits things.

I didnt particulary intend this thread to get over complicated other than it's orginal purpose.

But thanks, all info is good info.

Oh, and by the way 'legrandefromage', I hope that isn't your face on the photo. Cheers.

Back