The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

I've had a few of these, a bit hyped but ok.

I do have a Thorens TD 166 I need to drag out and resurrect

I have a Technics SL-1410 and a 1510 for refurbishment too
But no Regas left

Re:

Well a funny thing happened this evening.........

I was contacted by the person with the Rega deck and I am picking it up tomorrow :D :D

My other half has a tonne of cassettes in storage and I would like to get him a good tape deck. Obviously I know that cassettes have been out of favour (flavour?) for quite some time, and personally I'm deaf so am in wayyyyyy over my head with looking into anything like this.

Are any of you audiophiles able to recommend any good tape decks that I can go and have a look for? The deck will be connected into a Marantz PM6006 amplifier.

Thank you.

Yamaha are good value without daft prices being asked for.

I have a new old stock Yamaha somewhere that would be much but check on the usual sites first

BUT

Cassette decks of all types are getting on a bit and have belts and wheels that perish, make sure it is show as working well as they are a pain to repair if not.

Marantz can be had cheap, theres Denon, Technics, Sony etc etc. All perfectly reasonable machines.

Silly money buys Nackamichi but these decks are no longer the good value they once were

Re:

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound KX-580, owned since new approx 20 -25 years ago. I always found it good and has built in tone controls which help. Inexpensive too :D Think it was £130 from Richer Sounds BITD
However a point to bear in mind is that tapes themselves deteriorate/stretch and lose sound quality. Most of mine were recorded over 1980s/1990s and a few are really unplayable now.

Back