The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: Re:

velofrog":1a7slduc said:
Out of curiosity I did a continuity test on my meter... top pin to bottom left pin beeps as does top pin to bottom right pin.... that would imply the top pin IS connected to something, somewhere, somehow.... :?

Sorry late in reply.
Yes safe.
The earth is through what we would call the negative, blue wire. When the 3 pin earthed UK cable is connected the amp senses a short through green and yellow, hence the trip.I have equipment which says it must not be connected to ground. For example most bathroom exactors are the same as they are double insulated.

Anyway if not happy best you return it as you have.

Re:

So the saga continues... :roll:

The 'new' second Krell pre arrived and it's connected to earth and works perfectly, its only issue being the blue power led has blown, but I can fix that!

The big PD-95 however is a different story...

There is a known issue with the glue that holds the lens of the laser in, it dries up with old age and heat, and during transport where they suffer the occasional 'knock'... they fall out!

Now I told the seller this (my mate in Cornwall) and he said "it would be fine"... :facepalm:

The player arrived, I switched it on, opened the drawer, and there, sitting on the tray staring right at me was... yep, you guessed it... the lens... gutted... :(

I refitted the lens but its not responsive, so its going back to Cornwall... needless to say we are both pretty pi55ed off about it.

This meant I still needed a suitable disc spinner, so I've decided to throw caution to the wind and try a company I've not tried before... NAIM... I've bought a CD5X :D

Bit of a change compared to the big Pioneer, but nothing ventured... nothing gained!

Attachments

• CD5X.JPG
    CD5X.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,498
Re:

so is the faulty pd95 going to be for sale at a reduced price?? you cant go wrong with naim. overpriced as new i always thought but second hand its a better deal.

Re:

Who knows Adly, depends what my mate Chris makes of it once it's back in his hands... knowing him it will just get forgotten about for a while. He's down a CD player and will have to refund me into the bargain... it's a pretty rubbish situation to be honest.

I've been down that road before with the last 95 I had. Was a nightmare to get it repaired, finding someone up the task was hard enough in the first place! I drove from Inverness to Glasgow and back just to pick it up rather than risk a courier once it was fixed, and sold it as collection only. There was no way I was going through all that again with this one!

Just replaced the blown led on the Krell... could just have easily not bothered... it's like a flipping lighthouse! :facepalm:

Have painted it black with just the tiniest bit of paint rubbed off to let some light through, but I might move it from where it sits and put the NAIM in its place once it arrives! :oops:

Yeah, hoping for good things from the NAIM, was a lot cheaper than the 95 and has great reviews, looking forward to giving it a listen once it arrives. :)

Attachments

• kinbrite.jpeg
    kinbrite.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 2,484
  • bluled.jpeg
    bluled.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2,484
  • dedled.jpeg
    dedled.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 2,484
Standing firmly by my Micromega Stage 3 here - when it chooses to read discs, which is currently around 90% of the time :xmas-big-grin:

well i dont know if its worth mentioning that i cold be interested in it if you wouldnt mind? i had a quick look and there are some silly prices being asked on new laser mechs but i dare say with a bit more hunting it might be financially viable to get it done. a crying shame to see such a lovely deck mothballed?? ive done a face/palm with blue leds before myself. it was when blue led`s were new to the market in the 90s and i changed the leds on a beard valve pre/power and i got the voltage right but the rest i got very wrong!! ha! you had to wear a welders helmet to say the least and my mates got a lot of mileage out of my boob. very curios about the usher? i actually didnt look properly and thought it was a model of krell power amp i had not heard of before i realised it was an usher by usher ha! have you had long enough to make an opinion on it? cheers. ad

Re:

So things just go from bad to worse...

Been working so not really had a chance to connect the new gear or get close to having a listen until tonight.

Problem is that the scope of volume control is tiny, less than from 6 o’clock to 9...

Apparently the Usher input sensitivity is 1.7v and the Krell outputs 7v, dealer who sold me the Krell says this is the problem...

I don’t understand how this works, I’ve never encountered it before :oops:

Does the Naim CD player have an influence on that, or is it purely that the pre and power amps are not compatible?

I want to stick with balanced outputs/inputs and want to keep the Usher.

So what do I need to look for if I change preamp, what’s an appropriate spec that would allow a normal volume control operation?

Looking at an Audio Research LS25 mkII, specs are:

http://www.audioresearch.com/ContentsFi ... Manual.pdf

All help/suggestions welcome!

Re:

So the volume knob has less than 90 degrees rotation?

I was caught out once years ago when connecting a record deck and didn't use the phono specific inputs (ie phono stage part of amp) but your issue sounds more involved.

Back