The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re:

Moved house. Hi fi back on.

Gave my tannoy r2s away a few years back, anyone got any speakers looking to sell?

Bookshelf okay, my kef coda 7s got nicked at uni!

So I bought a new (mini) Hi-Fi and the general reaction amongst my friends seemed to be: "what? Who buys a Hi-Fi these days?". Apparently people only stream music through tinny little portable speakers, not much good if you want to make use of your record and/or CD collection (especially as a lot of the vinyl is not available in a good quality digital format). There we go then, having a Hi-Fi is now retro.

Also, I have one of these:

$_86.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Lissa

that is cluttering up a friend's loft, it is fully working, all three bits with cables and (I think) all remotes, if anyone wants it make me an offer, collection only from Stockport.

Re:

Been looking at sonos with a connect box for Cyrus regs cd etc. Then then play 1 speakers in other rooms. We have Apple Music and Spotify so all would play all.

Re:

I've got this little lot coming! :cool: :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• Usher-R1.5.jpg
    Usher-R1.5.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,156
  • Krell-KSL.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,156
  • Pioneer-PD95.jpg
    Pioneer-PD95.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,156
Pioneer, yes. Usher? I thought it was a Krell on my phone screen

I'll happily run away with the Pioneer.

Have had no experience with Usher other than an old Sinclair Spectrum game

Re:

Yeah PD95 is something else from a build perspective LGF, copper-clad everything! It's mint with its box, packing, instructions and remote, and apparently even the original receipt of sale from either 1991 or 2 for... £2499?! :shock:

Output stage is Class A afaik.

Krell KSL is a Class A pre, output trannies always powered, no switching noise... sans all bells and whistles!

Usher is a 40kg Class A monster based on a Nelson Pass design, with the nicest speaker posts I've seen on any amp!

It'll run Class A all the way via balanced xlrs into my Martin Logans.

This is my first proper hifi set up since I moved out to the island, so very much looking forward to it all arriving and being able to try it out! Hoping for warm and detailed... fingers crossed! :cool:

The Usher R1.5 has a very good reputation, the matching preamp not so good. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it.
I've always fancied trying one to dive my Maggie's.
Anyway, nice system you are building. Enjoy.

My Mission 753 turn 25 this year.

They appear to be quite happy running off a TMA AV32R prototype and a very last production run and quite rare in itself 100x5:10R - two modules can run 4x80w into 8 Ohm

Have got over my Technics faze after enjoying an SU-M100 for a while

I do miss my JVC ML-10/ PL-10

I love this high end Japanese stuff!!!!

Re:

Let me pick your collective brains....

The Usher is here, the 95 arrives today and the Krell arrived yesterday.

As a matter of course when a new bit of kit arrives I check the mains plugs, have seen some iffy wiring over the years and find it a worthwhile check...

The Krell came from Vickers Hifi in York, apparently tested and deemed ok to sell.

I opened the plug on arrival to be confronted with the earth wire not connected and the end taped over. It's an American lead with white, black and earth.

I called the dealer and told him, he suggested it would be fine just to reconnect the earth... :roll:

Commence immediate tripping of RCD and blown 2amp fuse in back of pre... :facepalm:

I tracked down replacement fuses up town and had another go with a lead of my own I have and it blew again immediately.

So, with one fuse left I disconnected the earth wire from the plug, switched it on and hey-presto.... it runs!

I checked the casework with a meter to make sure it wasn't live and all was ok.

Thing is, when I called them back he basically implied that if I hadn't opened the plug then everything would have been perfect, they ran it on demo in the shop using the lead they supplied me! :evil:

I've been in touch with Krell directly, awaiting a response from them, but I think It's going to have to be returned as I have no satisfactory reason as to why it operates without the earth connected!

The top pin on the socket doesn't have a wire connecting to it which is unusual, but googling images of KSL preamps they're all the same...

Any suggestions?! :?

Attachments

• ksl2.jpg
    ksl2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 2,030
  • ksl1.jpg
    ksl1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 2,030
Back