The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Have been playing with this with a 1amp 12v psu

Bonkers...

s-l1600.jpg

an alleged 50w per channel into 8 Ohms depending on the power supply.

I had it running my Mission 753 (6 Ohm 90db) to quite respectable volumes but only for a short while as I could hear the power supply struggling a bit! The amplifier was a bit hissy as the psu wasnt designed for quiet operation

I also have a big 13 amp 12 volt regulated psu which this amplifier loved. Super quiet and loads of head room to drive some pretty inefficient JPW ( 8 Ohm, 86db).

Anyway, give 'em a whirl but makes sure you pair them with a hefty power supply

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Digital ... 0506.m3226

These get good revues too if you want one for a record player

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nobsound-Min ... :rk:3:pf:0

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yeah they are brilliant. Like... not just actual Hi-Fi quality but actually better than many conventional class AB amps. The little class D chips do stuff that normal amps don't - they are super detailed and clear sounding. Almost a bit like when you first heard CD...

I use one of these with a fairly beefy 18v laptop supply and a pair of JBL control 1s. I've also tried it with better speakers and it's in no way outclassed...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Douk-Audio-D ... 1648077709

FWIW I've tried it off a range of PSUs and it even sounds pretty good (and loud) running off a 9v battery (although I suspect the battery wouldn't last long). Class D is really efficient. I was using a 12v supply - the "upgrade" to 18v was subtle but the bass firmed up a little.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yeah no probs. Worth checking out what's available though as some of the chips are specifically designed to deliver their maximum output off a 12V supply. Depends how loud you need to go.

The TPA3116 (which is known to be a particularly good sounding chip) in the one I linked to delivers maximum power from a 24v supply, but the consensus seems to be that it delivers less distortion with around 18-19v. Also in the Nobsound/Douk amps there's been some issues with capacitors going pop at the higher voltage ratings.

It sounds good at 12V though and plenty loud enough - especially in a car.

legrandefromage":1gkveqok said:
I had it running my Mission 753 (6 Ohm 90db) to quite respectable volumes but only for a short while as I could hear the power supply struggling a bit! The amplifier was a bit hissy as the psu wasnt designed for quiet operation

I also have a big 13 amp 12 volt regulated psu which this amplifier loved. Super quiet and loads of head room to drive some pretty inefficient JPW ( 8 Ohm, 86db).

Hiss on these is mainly caused by the input gain settings. From the factory the amps are usually set up to have far more gain than you'd usually need. It can tweaked by changing a single resistor. It's not been a major issue for me but at low volumes with efficient speakers you'll hear it.

I suspect that the noise difference with the two setups was caused by the difference in sensitivity of the two speakers. I've found that different PSUs don't noticably affect noise with these amps. I agree that a good (beefy) PSU helps but IME they are pretty tolerant of stuff that's not really designed for audio use. E.g. laptop supplies can be pretty noisy but seem to work fine.

Anyone know about aiwa ad810 tape decks. I have had one sitting around for ages. I would like to sell it as my finances are dire, but it has developed a problem. I changed the belts because they were so old. It appears to play ok, but won't fast fwd or rewind.It will fast forward (sometiomes) albeit not much faster than playing speed, but refuses to rewind - it stops with a clunk. Looking online seems to suggest a possible fault with some idler stop, or lubrication needed, but gives no ideas how to tackle these without finding an expesensive repair shop. Anyone got any ideas?

Back