The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales B&W 603 S2

Love those B&W's, they'd go well in my living room I think, but alas not the right time and my Tannoy Mercurys do a fine job with the matching centre.

I will soon be on the hunt for a turntable though as I want to build some classic vinyl and use it with my Pioneer A300x and Mordaunt Short MS10's.

Currently thinking Linn Basik or Axis, Systemdeck or Rega Planar2, any others I should keep an eye out for?

Also might be on the hunt for a CDP Player to replace my Sony CDP-790 that just opens and closes it drawer incessantly.

Carl.

Hello hi-fi fans. Anyone able to recommend someone who can service a garrard 401. Also looking for a decent plinth for said turntable....

drcarlos":2ouu9cl0 said:
Love those B&W's, they'd go well in my living room I think, but alas not the right time and my Tannoy Mercurys do a fine job with the matching centre.

I will soon be on the hunt for a turntable though as I want to build some classic vinyl and use it with my Pioneer A300x and Mordaunt Short MS10's.

Currently thinking Linn Basik or Axis, Systemdeck or Rega Planar2, any others I should keep an eye out for?

Also might be on the hunt for a CDP Player to replace my Sony CDP-790 that just opens and closes it drawer incessantly.

Carl.

I'd do you a good price!

John":1k34spht said:
Dread":1k34spht said:
John":1k34spht said:
Hello hi-fi fans. Anyone able to recommend someone who can service a garrard 401. Also looking for a decent plinth for said turntable....

Loricraft.

http://www.garrard501.com/

Ta, have dropped them a mail.

John it won't be cheap. I'll check among my mates who have 401s who is the best.
What needs doing?. They are fairly basic and not rocket science. I serviced my 301 without any issues...trust me a front derailleur is far more tricky!

Thanks! Am considering the DIY route - not used it for a few years but would think it'd need a basic service (bearing oiled etc) given I've had it 20 years and done nothing to it in this time. Equally it has only been used a handful of times and last time I used it worked fine.

John":y14xr8kk said:
Thanks! Am considering the DIY route - not used it for a few years but would think it'd need a basic service (bearing oiled etc) given I've had it 20 years and done nothing to it in this time. Equally it has only been used a handful of times and last time I used it worked fine.

John
I'd DIY it. Bearing oil is easy....don't change for any of the new fangled rubbish out there. The Garrard sintered bronze bearing is one of the finest.
New idler would probably help. Check to see if it is still soft...if rock hard and cracked it needs changing. The eddy brake can cause issues, but tbh they are rare.
Happy to help if I can.

Latest posts

Back